penalty question- how screwed

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Had a friend that was delayed on the way home recently..

Here is all I know. Icy highway and a late night crash with at least one vehicle totaled. I heard all in both vehicles were taken to the hospital but may have just been a precaution, supposedly nobody was seriously hurt. Now for the fun stuff. The blotter shows charges of DUI, driving above .08, no proof of insurance, careless, vehicular assault. Oh, and the driver has 2 or maybe even 3 prior dui's. The accident was at the end of an 8-hr trip.

Again this is not me.. this could impact my renting situation if it is what I think..

So how bad is this one? With the priors I'm guessing no lawyer can prevent some jail time.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Depends on how recent the previous DUI's were. Most states charge as a felony if 2-3 previous DUI's within the last few years.

Your friend needs a good attorney.

Machdup1

Established Member
Had a friend that was delayed on the way home recently..

Here is all I know. Icy highway and a late night crash with at least one vehicle totaled. I heard all in both vehicles were taken to the hospital but may have just been a precaution, supposedly nobody was seriously hurt. Now for the fun stuff. The blotter shows charges of DUI, driving above .08, no proof of insurance, careless, vehicular assault. Oh, and the driver has 2 or maybe even 3 prior dui's. The accident was at the end of an 8-hr trip.

Again this is not me.. this could impact my renting situation if it is what I think..

So how bad is this one? With the priors I'm guessing no lawyer can prevent some jail time.

Safe to assume that your friends is going to spend $$$$$$ on lawyers, fines and fees. He might also lose significant income while he sits in jail. Time to find a new roommate.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yep, looks like it's gonna be an expensive lesson. Maybe it will be an actual learned lesson this time, since the priors apparently didn't teach him a damn thing.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yep, looks like it's gonna be an expensive lesson. Maybe it will be an actual learned lesson this time, since the priors apparently didn't teach him a damn thing.

if the priors didn't this one won't either. habitual drunk drivers don't take responsibility for their actions, never learn from their bad choices, and deserve zero sympathy from the judge.

if I were you, regardless of the outcome of this case, I would find a new place to live

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
If he's an illegal alien he should be just fine.....

On the real though. What RDJ said. I'd find a new place to live regardless. The guy sounds like a trainwreck!

Sn95Snake

Established Member
if the priors didn't this one won't either. habitual drunk drivers don't take responsibility for their actions, never learn from their bad choices, and deserve zero sympathy from the judge.

if I were you, regardless of the outcome of this case, I would find a new place to live

I agree with RDJ 100% on this one..

Your buddy might be a nice guy, but it sounds like he needs to be hit with the book before he kills someone...

Users who are viewing this thread