Pedal Power

Tuyo

Whitexican Extraordinaire
Established Member
The Associated Press: Sheriff Arpaio makes inmates pedal to watch TV

Sheriff Arpaio makes inmates pedal to watch TV
(AP) – 21 hours ago

PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has started a program he calls "Pedal Vision," in which inmates pedal stationary bikes to generate electricity for television sets. The bikes are customized to turn on connected TV sets once inmates at Phoenix's Tent City Jail pedal enough to generate 12 volts of electricity. An hour of pedaling equals an hour of television.

Arpaio said inmates only will be able to watch television if they choose to pedal.

He said he started the program with female inmates because they seemed more receptive.

Arpaio said the only exercise female inmates have been getting is speed-walking around the tent yard.

He said Pedal Vision gives them a reason to get moving and a way to burn calories.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I like this idea. How ever, I think this would be even greater to power the whole facility using this technique... Work for everything you get when you are sitting in there.

Tuyo

Whitexican Extraordinaire
Established Member

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

ssssnake

Established Member
I like this guy. Torture? Oh well. I'm sure some of them are guilty of a little torture themselves. In Texas at the Huntsville Penitentiary, the inmates used to grow their own food. You'd drive by the prison and see them out there taking care of the fields and the guards were on horseback. The food was used to feed the inmates and saved the state money. They even put on a rodeo every year that was a huge event and brought in more money to the state. Then, someone complained it was cruel to work the inmates that way, so they stopped it. Bleeding hearts. :loser:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
So exercising is torture huh? Ya, must be a bunch of fat asses complaining about it because anything that involves breaking a sweat is torture to them except for struggling with ripping a bag of chips open, that's sweat well-earned.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
What about the torture the families of the victims go through and expense of the taxpayers to keep them in there? I guess they don't count:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread