Peace officer? (LEO replies only please)

Juiced-03

Established Member
Hey everybody, I just have a quick question about peace officer status. I've been looking into corrections as a career and a lot of people are saying that California's DOC has officers with sworn peace officer status. I'm confused as to what the difference is? I guess a lot of other states don't have peace officer status within their correctional institutions. I've read on some other forums that this means you are on duty 24/7 (sworn peace officer status). Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm just looking for some clarification. Why would you need CO's with peace officer powers within a prison?

MODDED97GT

Established Member
I am a CO in Florida and basically my arrest powers are only valid in the jail.
On the outside I would have to make a citizens arrest.

Juiced-03

Established Member
MODDED97GT said:
I am a CO in Florida and basically my arrest powers are only valid in the jail.
On the outside I would have to make a citizens arrest.
Thanks for the reply! I am just confused because they throw that sworn peace officer status part in there. I thought that was only for actual street officers, but now I'm realizing more and more positions have full peace officer duties.

On a side note, any regrets with your career choice?

MODDED97GT

Established Member
No I really enjoy corrrections. I would not change it for anything. I have a blast at work. I do get into a scuffle now and then but its always fun. You just have to be better then them if you know what I mean. P.M. me any time if you want more info!!!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
CA correctional officer powers only cover their work-related activities. Most, if not all are NOT allowed to carry firearms while working, unless the specific duty they are performing requires a weapon. They are allowed to carry concealed off-duty, however they must qualify and maintain the license to carry on their own time and nickel. The law was altered some time back to provide them off-duty weapon carry, however their hiring standards are not nearly as high as POST requirements for peace officers.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thank you for the clarification Mark. Quite informative:thumbsup:
driving.gif

Users who are viewing this thread