PCV valve

4.6stanger

Established Member
Got a procharged 96 cobra engine in my fox, went to the track this past sunday and had two guys tell me that i need to do something about my pcv valve on my d/s valve cover thats routed to the manifold....bought the car like this so a lil confused, one told me to put a breather in place of the pcv valve and plug the plastic tube from the manifold. He told me if i left it like that, that id most likely blow my engine since im literally pushing boost in my crankcase:shrug: Could i get some advice or pics of what to do??

lethalvenom

Established Member
it is to my understanding that a pvc valve is a type of check valve. like a regulator on a bottle of map gas. the flow can only go one way and for some reason(forced induction)
it decides to switch directions the valve shuts!

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
I run a PCV from my intake to my passenger side valve cover which originally went to the driver's side and run a breather/filter on my driver's side. Is this okay??

Toasty

Established Member
Got a procharged 96 cobra engine in my fox, went to the track this past sunday and had two guys tell me that i need to do something about my pcv valve on my d/s valve cover thats routed to the manifold....bought the car like this so a lil confused, one told me to put a breather in place of the pcv valve and plug the plastic tube from the manifold. He told me if i left it like that, that id most likely blow my engine since im literally pushing boost in my crankcase:shrug: Could i get some advice or pics of what to do??

IIRC:

Under positive boost conditions, the PCV valve will be forced shut, thereby not allowing much air past it and into the valve cover, on vacuum, it will allow crankcase gases to enter the upper intake and be burnt in the combustion process.

Further, you probably have *some* compressed air getting past the rings, even in a perfect engine. I think that the overall amount of pressure that might enter the valvecover/crankcase via the PCV is negligible.

Remember that teh 03-04 Cobra's have almost the same PCV setup as we do.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I run a PCV from my intake to my passenger side valve cover which originally went to the driver's side and run a breather/filter on my driver's side. Is this okay??

No, you need either both sides hooked up or NO side hooked up (2 breathers)
You are sucking in unmetered air as you have it now.

IIRC:

Under positive boost conditions, the PCV valve will be forced shut, thereby not allowing much air past it and into the valve cover, on vacuum, it will allow crankcase gases to enter the upper intake and be burnt in the combustion process.

Further, you probably have *some* compressed air getting past the rings, even in a perfect engine. I think that the overall amount of pressure that might enter the valvecover/crankcase via the PCV is negligible.

Remember that teh 03-04 Cobra's have almost the same PCV setup as we do.

You are correct.

The only thing is and I'm not sure but doesn't the 03-04 P_CV return to the inlet side of the eaton?

OP, I do prefer a breather or catch can set up on a blown car but as I said, you either leave both sides hooked up or neither side. If you put a breather you need to do both sides.

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
Here is a pic. Let me know if this is okay.

P1020241-2.jpg

4.6stanger

Established Member
Ok i already have a breather on my PS valve cover but the DS is still the way as from the factory. Could i do as MOmystic said, about putting two breathers on each valve cover and run the tube from my intake manifold to the intake tube?? BTW when i ran it, i was blowing black smoke, could that be why??

BTW ran a terrible 12.6@114. with 2.0 60ft. I really think i need a dynotune, but anybody with a similiar setup, could yall tell your shift point?? I was shifting at 6300.

96 stock cobra longblock, Intercooled, p1sc procharger 12lb pulley. SHortened intake, imrc deletes. 4.10s with built rearend. Prostars with nitto dr's. REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE! PLZ

Last edited:

jumperjack

Established Member
Ok i already have a breather on my PS valve cover but the DS is still the way as from the factory. Could i do as MOmystic said, about putting two breathers on each valve cover and run the tube from my intake manifold to the intake tube?? BTW when i ran it, i was blowing black smoke, could that be why??

Breathers are O.K. but you will get some oil misting out of them into your engine bay. Best way is a catch can with both VC running to it. Some guy's like the JLT PCV pre-filter link below. From your pic it is hard to tell where the lines are now or how they are hooked up. I run a KB and capped both the lower intake and the hole in the CAI and ran both VC to a catch can.
http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_20&products_id=23

Last edited:

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
The tube on the intake to the passenger side valve cover is running a PCV in the valve cover and there is nothing ran to the intake tube. Is that okay?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The tube on the intake to the passenger side valve cover is running a PCV in the valve cover and there is nothing ran to the intake tube. Is that okay?

Not quite understanding?

Pic?

The PCV is normally on the DS and the tube in the VC on the PS side runs straight to the intake tube just before the TB IIRC.

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
I understand how the stock setup is run. My setup is this; the drivers side valve cover has a breather/filter. The tube from the intake which used to run there now runs to the passenger side valve cover with a PCV valve. There is nothing running to the intake tube before the throttlebody. It used to have it setup that way stock but now since I have the aftercooler and piping there was no opening in the intake tube so basically a hose runs from the intake to the passenger side valve cover w/pcv valve and nothing else.

tt54l32v

Established Member
no that wont work when the motor is under vacuum(like idle) it is drawing unmetered air from the driver breather. either put a breather on both sides and cap off unhooked connections. or go from the driver vc to the boost pipe in front of the blower, with no valves (if it is draw through mass air).

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
no that wont work when the motor is under vacuum(like idle) it is drawing unmetered air from the driver breather. either put a breather on both sides and cap off unhooked connections. or go from the driver vc to the boost pipe in front of the blower, with no valves (if it is draw through mass air).

exactly

Users who are viewing this thread