PCV oil separators. which side, or both?

DTL

Established Member
It looks like there's a PCV port on each bank of the motor, but companies like Moroso sell their oil separator with instructions for only plumbing it in to one valve cover. Are you supposed to just plug the other side or T it in to the separator or what? It seems pretty pointless to only run half the PCV system through the separator if the goal is to keep ALL the oil out of the intake tract. Am I missing something here?

Turbo900rr

Established Member
I ran a 5/8 hose and a t to my separater. But I have a procharger so it's different than na. I'll see if I can't take some pics and post them.

DTL

Established Member
That's what I was considering; running both valve cover outlets into a single separator, then back to a single vaccum source and plugging the second vaccum source. Where did you find the T? I think the local parts house carries some of that random stuff. Thanks!

Turbo900rr

Established Member
598f1730.jpg

ec4fd6d4.jpg

a5574d9d.jpg

This will give you an idea. On the drivers side of the motor, I dremeled a slot fit the hose to go under the intake cover and installed the T. From there the hose goes to the rear of the motor and is carefully curved 180 degrees into the oil separator. Exiting the separator with a brass 90 to a short piece of hose and into another brass 90 that is screwed into the intake filter housing of the procharger. Since you are NA you will have to get creative on your routing and do what works best for you.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
The ideal setup is for both sides of the motor to go to a catch can. The less amount of pressure in the crankcase the better.

I agree. But it seems that ford is using a more restrictive pcv setup in the gt500. I'm assuming because of the FI they are seeing higher crankcase pressure. I left the factory pcv's in the car and just did it as pictured above for a cleaner look. I believe because of the higher breathability of the coyote system and the strong vacuum signal of the procharger intake, I'm not expecting any pressure to build up in the crankcase.

SD_Stang

Established Member
Everyone I have seen with the seperators on the NA has said drivers side is 99.9 % dry. The GT500 crowd tend to run both. I plan on adding a JLT one eventually but I had read something about a newer bracket and possible fittings for them to improve it, instead of having it rest on the radiator hose which never seemed like a good design to me in the first place. I have to find the thread though.

DTL

Established Member
Hmm, interesting. Maybe that explains why the Moroso instructions only deal with the passenger side. Perhaps I should just *follow the instructions* (shocking, right?) and monitor the driver's side from time to time before getting to crazy. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread