PCV/Breathers question

Boosted0range

Established Member
im running to autozone to buy two breathers, i unhooked both lines from the driver and passenger side valve covers, ....but on the drivers side, not only does it run from the valve cover into the back of the eaton, but also there's a T fitting and a line runs down behind the motor....what do i do with that line, the one that you can hardly see that drops down behind the motor ...cap it? where does it go and what is it for. Thanks!

Boosted0range

Established Member
anyone?

well i didnt get a response, so i put the breather on the passenger side, and caped the whole in the cold air intake. then on the drivers side i put the breather on, kept the rubber hose on the back of the supercharger and capped the other end of the hose that goes down behind the motor...and the car officially runs like dog shit now........whats the problem

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
I believe the true way to run the breathers is to cap it off underneath the blower as I believe thats where part of pcv line ends up from the drivers side. What is the reason for the breathers?

Boosted0range

Established Member
i was just doing it to get away from the hot oily air re-entering the CAI and going through the blower and intercooler........idk, i think i fixed my problem...

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
i was just doing it to get away from the hot oily air re-entering the CAI and going through the blower and intercooler........idk, i think i fixed my problem...

You could have just got an oil catch can, I thought I heard that running breathers can lean out the car a little bit... could be a crock of shit? You may want to have the tuner check the AFR and watch for oil spraying through those breathers.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Go and get a NPT flared plug, and a hose clamp. That is what I did.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Man you guys sure like to confuse people asking these questions.

Op you have a few options but since you went with two breathers you want to just cap the side of the T fitting that went to the drivers side head. If you leave this open you will create a BIG vacumme leak and the car will run like crap. It sounds like you did the passangers side correctly.

I went one set farther with my setup and ran a hose from each valvecover to a breather tank that I installed in my fender. :coolman:

If you have any question feel free to PM me.

RussZTT

Established Member
This is what I did with mine. Ran 3/4 tubing from the pass side, routed and used a T on the drivers side. Hose runs right to a vented catch can mounted right next to the fog light behind the bumper.

P7045819.gif

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
I looked on mitchell on demand at my shop and It has really big and bold print under the section where it talks about the breather hose and pcv valve and says do not remove remove pcv valve or engine damage will result and yea it does screw up your airscrew mixture so I left mine how it was.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
This is what I did with mine. Ran 3/4 tubing from the pass side, routed and used a T on the drivers side. Hose runs right to a vented catch can mounted right next to the fog light behind the bumper.

P7045819.gif

I love this setup, and I'll probably do something similar eventually...Are those GT500 PCV valves?

RussZTT

Established Member
I looked on mitchell on demand at my shop and It has really big and bold print under the section where it talks about the breather hose and pcv valve and says do not remove remove pcv valve or engine damage will result
Better tell everyone that has been doing this for YEARS and YEARS including all the street/strip cars their engine will blow up. :nonono:

Boosted0range

Established Member
welll thanks for all you help....lol now idk what to do, without having a wideband, im somewhat nervous about driving around with it, not knowing if it took a dive on the lean side or not.. I had breathers on my 95gt, and it worked like a charm...Figures this 1 had to be tricky.

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
russztt may be right there are alotta folks riding around without them but I'm sure they have a rich ass mixture from the tuner and it might not hurt it cause most folks would go excessivly rich before they would come close to running it lean so you may be ok but I've worked on thousands of cars doing diagnostics and driveability and referencing mitchell and I trust what it says so I'm not going that route.

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
Straight from a automotive technology book. "Blowby gases can contain hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, particulates, small amounts of water, sulfur, and acid and for this reason blowby gases must be removed from engine crankcase and engine blowby causes, Air pollution (if released into the atmosphere). Corrosion of engine parts. Engine oil dilution. Sludge formation. A PCV system keeps the inside of the engine clean and reduces air pollution. If not vented from the crankcase, gases would build to a point where engine damage would occur."

So venting wont cause damage quickly but after a while of all that stuff on the list the inside of the engine would deteriorate.. Having them vented allows moisture in the engine also which I would stay away from.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Straight from a automotive technology book. "Blowby gases can contain hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, particulates, small amounts of water, sulfur, and acid and for this reason blowby gases must be removed from engine crankcase and engine blowby causes, Air pollution (if released into the atmosphere). Corrosion of engine parts. Engine oil dilution. Sludge formation. A PCV system keeps the inside of the engine clean and reduces air pollution. If not vented from the crankcase, gases would build to a point where engine damage would occur."

So venting wont cause damage quickly but after a while of all that stuff on the list the inside of the engine would deteriorate.. Having them vented allows moisture in the engine also which I would stay away from.

So your saying its bad to run breathers on thses cars?

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
Over a period of time yes.. There are a lot of people that do it tho.. The old cars in the 60's and 70's have open pcv systems and most diesels and usually the oil cap was a inlet for fresh air and draft tubes or breathers would expel the dirty air and vent to the atmosphere but those were carbureted and on some very early fuel injection so as advanced as the ecm's and fuel metering is now it makes a much more drastic difference than back in the day. If you have a scan tool and a 5 gas analyzer or know some1 who has 1 have the pcv system hooked up normally and watch the gas readings on the analyzer and the datastream on the tool and you will see how much of a diff it makes with alotta things including a/f mixture. The engines combustion is more efficient with the pcv, you actually lose efficiency without the pcv and that makes a diff on power..

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Over a period of time yes.. There are a lot of people that do it tho.. The old cars in the 60's and 70's have open pcv systems and most diesels and usually the oil cap was a inlet for fresh air and draft tubes or breathers would expel the dirty air and vent to the atmosphere but those were carbureted and on some very early fuel injection so as advanced as the ecm's and fuel metering is now it makes a much more drastic difference than back in the day. If you have a scan tool and a 5 gas analyzer or know some1 who has 1 have the pcv system hooked up normally and watch the gas readings on the analyzer and the datastream on the tool and you will see how much of a diff it makes with alotta things including a/f mixture. The engines combustion is more efficient with the pcv, you actually lose efficiency without the pcv and that makes a diff on power..

This is why it's a great idea to have a PCV valve on both valve covers (they are a one way valve..btw and will not allow anything back in), and they should both be going into a catch can that has a breather on it.

Users who are viewing this thread