pcv/breather questions and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareds99slobra

Established Member
ok so a month ago i had my car tuned by pro-dyno on my first run i had some smoke come out of the pipes and we decided it was the oil getting into the intake system through my passanger side valve cover. they pluged the intake and put a breather in the gromet on the valve cover. my friend who knows alot about these cars "KXT" said thats creating a vaccume leak. NOw on the drivers side valve cover i have a jlt pre filter and then the pcv set up. is this set up ok, should i return it to stock or should i go with breathers on both sides. i need advice thanks

zPipes

Established Member
Recently there was more discussion on the matter. I think most would say not to go with a breather but instead an oil catch can.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
PCV_CC.jpg

This pic shows what you (and I) need. See how the fresh air is coming from metered air in the pic, thats what you want if you're gonna have the dirty side going to the intake. Adding a breather on the driver side just allows unmetered air to enter the system and doesn't clean anything.

He's the answer either
1) run breathers on both sides and risk putting oil mist under the hood
2) hook up a catch can (seperator) like that in the pic above
3) use the exhaust to create vacuum instead of the intake to draw out crankcase fumes.

Remember this is still a highly debated topic so there will be other opinions.

01_Svt venom

Established Member
ive been looking in to this lately too. What catch can would you guys recommend? Any certain brand that works better than others?

Predatorbird

Established Member
I was going to do a catch can, but I saw many different ways of doing it and didn't know which was best/correct. I decided just to give up on this mod.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
my buddy actually makes these on his CNC.

Catchcans.com

GREAT PRODUCT

Looks like a nice product. If I can ever figure out what route to go, open system or PCV system, I will go with his product.

I was going to do a catch can, but I saw many different ways of doing it and didn't know which was best/correct. I decided just to give up on this mod.

I am about in the same boat. So widely debated it makes my head hurt.

zPipes

Established Member
Well everyone says that this mod works, and is worth it. So doing it should be a no brainer. In all the threads I've read about this.. its apparent the catch can style is more efficient than the breather. However, sure.. the breather has more "curb appeal" but should not be a factor in deciding whether or not to do a mod thats supposed to increase engine efficiency.

Yea those cans your buddy makes are nice, definatley. But way too expensive. More than it costs at lethalperformance.com. For what its worth, in case you've missed them, do a search for this mod, there are a few that guys have detailed how to make them for like 20-30 bucks. Seems pretty easy. I'll be doin it here shortly, just have alot on my spring to-do list atm lol.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Best route?

Run both valve covers to a catch can with a breather on it and plug all intake inlets where they went to.

No oil OR hot oil fumed air going into the intake.

But for the OPs question as to how it is now, Yes you either need to breather and plug both sides or do none at all. Right now you are getting unmetered air.

jareds99slobra

Established Member
i had the catch can set up before. i bought it from summitt racing and installed it. i removed it when i blew up the old motor. im not sure the way i had it was very effective however i did the same as some of the people in the catch can threads.

is it possible to run a jlt prefilter on the passanger side just like i have in the drivers?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^a JLT on the driver side is not going to clean the oil mist because you have fresh air entering the system on that side.

Some people pipe both sides to a catch can then vent it with a filter but that setup does not apply any vacuum to the crankcase and is not as effiecient (but does work) . All you really need to do is create a setup like I have pictured and 90%+ of the oil mist will be eliminated from the intake.

Last edited:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I'm running the Moroso breather/catch can with no problems. My main concern was to keep oil out of the intake. This was recommended to me by my tuner, who is very knowledgable on these cars.

zPipes

Established Member
Hey stampede, whats the point of putting one on the pass side? That is filtered air already? But in regards to the breather .. yea catch can is what you need, not the little air filter breather.

01MGSVT

Established Member
i too have been looking at catch cans, i put breathers on both sides and they worked but the oil mist on the motor and the smell of oil coming through the vents when you turn the air on is not worth it to me, just my opinion...

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Hey stampede, whats the point of putting one on the pass side?

W/ the PCV system the air is drawn in through the passenger side then engine vacuum sucks it from the driver's side. When you remove the intake PCV tube and thus remove vacuum source, both sides just become vents that allow air to move freely in both directions.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Hey stampede, whats the point of putting one on the pass side? That is filtered air already? But in regards to the breather .. yea catch can is what you need, not the little air filter breather.

As said before,
If you put a breather on the drivers side and cap the vacuum port on the intake then when you hit the throttle and put vacuum on the passenger side one. This will suck from the crankcase and pull air in through the breather on the drivers side. This air is unmetered.
Not really worried about filtered but not going through the MAF= unmetered= lean condition.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Breathers...no recirculated PCV vapors, highest emissions
Catch can...no recirculated PCV vapors, relatively high emissions
Separator...some recirculated PCV vapors, low emissions
Stock...relatively high recirculated PCV vapors, low emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread