PCM Questions

Harleyvrod54

Established Member
My dad took the lightning for a cruise on saturday and it started to fail on him. He took it into the dealership and the said that the PCM fried. I was wondering if anybody makes a aftermarket one to get alittle more power and maybe cheaper cause they want 900 dollars for a new one, any advice would be appreicated. Thank you

Dusten

Established Member
The aftermarket doesn't make a pcm for our trucks. Not for less than 900. I'd find one in a wrecking yatd

Harleyvrod54

Established Member
thank you, i just had the dealership order one and do it that way. it would have been to hard for me to get one from a yard since im in flordia and truck still in wisconsin. i appriecate the help!

NastyNate420

Established Member
Ford told me I needed a new PCM for my mach. 4+ years and 100k miles and Its still good! All it needed was a reflash and it was good.

Harleyvrod54

Established Member
:shrug:they replaced it with a new one, that didnt solve it, said it was missing on a cylinder, and they think its one of the catalyst? :shrug: i guess i wouldnt mind that being the problem since i wanted to do a offroad pipe. i hope that solves the issue

Dusten

Established Member
:shrug:they replaced it with a new one, that didnt solve it, said it was missing on a cylinder, and they think its one of the catalyst? :shrug: i guess i wouldnt mind that being the problem since i wanted to do a offroad pipe. i hope that solves the issue

Why would a cat cause s miss

chrisheltra

Established Member
Have them return the truck to the condition it was in when you brought it to them and take it home. Were there any codes associated with your issues?

Harleyvrod54

Established Member
there were never any codes thrown when the problems started so he couldnt read anything. After he changed the pcm and a ignition coil on the 5th cylinder the truck is running like normal. The mechanic says that there is a crack in the pipe before the cat and that would explain the loud noise coming from the exhaust that my dad described to me after the problems occured. i will call the mechanic in the morning to find out more.

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
Tell them to put the old pcm back in the truck and see if it will run. I've seen a lot of mechanics that get stumped and say well it must be the computer, and since there is no test for a pcm, they throw one at it and hope it fixes it. If it had a bad coil and leaking exhaust on the same side that could cause some pretty good trouble. I've seen modulars run like dooky on 7 cylinders. Mine did it when I forgot to hook up the #4 coil, hunt for idle, stumble when reved, almost stall then pick back up. Looked all over the place and after pulling a P0304, plugged it back in she ran like clockwork.

Harleyvrod54

Established Member
I will tell them to put the old PCM back in it tomorrow when i give them a call. I wish i was back home so it would be easier and i could have actually seen what the truck was doing before it got taken in. if i dont need a new PCM that should save alot of money. Thank you everyone for the help:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread