PCM fuse keeps blowing.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Orientation: Vehicle is a 2004 Cobra.

Cold front blew into OK last night and temps dropped down to about 21*.

Relevant mods:

Python LC3 2-way alarm/remote start. (installed by me, properly) I've ruled this out as a possibility at this point in diagnostics.

Triple Walbro 255lph pumps running through a 4ga wire directly to battery. Pumps come on with ignition in RUN.

Situation: Remote started car this morning and it ran for several minutes and then died.

Would not remote start or start with coded keys.

THEFT light blinking rapidly with key on RUN.

Fuel pumps not getting power with key on RUN.

Couldn't pull codes with my X3 so I determined that there was something up with the PCM.

Tracked the problem down to a blown (Constant Control Relay Module) fuse in
slot F1.26 (30 amp big boy fuse) in the battery junction box.

Harvested the rear window defrost relay 30 amp fuse to replace it, and the car fired right up but blew the fuse again within about 5 seconds of running.

In hindsight, I should've seen if the fuse would hold with the key on RUN but I just started it as soon as I heard that the pumps had juice.

Waiting on a ride to get some more fuses from NAPA.

As always, your input is sincerely appreciated.

big dad

Established Member
First off, get a circuit breaker with some leads,( you'll have to make them), so you don't keep going through fuses.
Next, locate the CCRM, and remove it from the circuit and see if it keeps tripping the circuit breaker, if it doesn't you've found your culprit. If it still trips the CB you have a short in the wiring.
My money is on the CCRM. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread