PC 7424XP or Flex XC3401VRG

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Which one? I am not a professional detailer but want to do some of my own work. I have been wanting the Porter cable for a long time because I know how safe it is even in the hands of an amateur but now that I am ready to get one I am reading about the Flex. Is it just as safe? Which one is better? I saw a video on youtube where the Flex did a better and faster job due to the RPM speeds and now I'm curious. Thanks for any help

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
the guy i get my stuff from uses the flex for heavy scratched cars due to the weight of it...he did say it is better for the advanced car buffers..I love my PC tho..check out the thread i just posted t see the work

AWDLS2

Established Member
Also look into the HD Polisher. Heres a good video that compares them all
[youtube_browser]OQrQzIBH50c[/youtube_browser]

MattZ28

Established Member
Advantages of the Flex 3401:
-480 RPM forced rotation (PC does not have this)
-Integrated backing plate
-9600 OPM (orbits per minute - PC XP only goes to 6800)
-Less vibrations
-Better power cord
-Better overall ergonomics and German build quality
-Variable speed trigger w/trigger lock (vs. on/off switch on the PC)

The PC's main advantage is its price point. It'll get you from point A to point B, but the Flex will do it better and faster. Kinda like comparing an import with mediocre build quality to a Mercedes. :)

Give me a call here at 1-877-253-8425 and I'll help you out. I've used all the aforementioned polishers and can help you make your decision. For anyone looking for a 3401, we just got in a shipment of them and are offering them for $329.99, free shipping.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/ca...bital-polisher-dual-action-rotary-buffer.html

Last edited:

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Advantages of the Flex 3401:
-480 RPM forced rotation (PC does not have this)
-Integrated backing plate
-9600 OPM (orbits per minute - PC XP only goes to 6800)
-Less vibrations
-Better power cord
-Better overall ergonomics and German build quality
-Variable speed trigger w/trigger lock (vs. on/off switch on the PC)

The PC's main advantage is its price point. It'll get you from point A to point B, but the Flex will do it better and faster. Kinda like comparing an import with mediocre build quality to a Mercedes. :)

Give me a call here at 1-877-253-8425 and I'll help you out. I've used all the aforementioned polishers and can help you make your decision. For anyone looking for a 3401, we just got in a shipment of them and are offering them for $329.99, free shipping.

Sigh... Now I want a Flex :(

redrocket16

Established Member
Much like Matt said, the Porter Cable will do a great job but the Flex will do it quicker. 1 bright side of the PC though is its a better tool to use sealants and such products like that however. If you take good care of your ride and don't have severe areas to correct the PC would be enough of a unit. The PC will get 95% of the same stuff as the flex only difference is the flex will do it quicker.

And the flex can be slightly higher on the difficutly of use vs the PC. You literally can't burn your paint with the PC but flex you can but not nearly as easy as a rotary.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I really want to upgrade to a flex from my 6 yr old pc...but that flex price will give you sticker shock. :dw: plus, my paint is already so nice the pc does the job every 6 months pretty easily since its not a daily and picks up very few correction spots. if you have a daily you really care about and need more frequent/severe duty correction....(or you're a pro)... then i'd go with the flex hands down

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
flex is better, but can still do damage if you're not careful...as you said, the pc is much safer nbo matter what...if you decide on the flex i'd suggest paying very close attention to what's going on (what i've heard from alot of people is move fairly quickly, unlike the pc, and don't sit in one spot too long or you'll do some real damage)

good luck with what you decide

MattZ28

Established Member
If you're keeping your pad flat, it's really hard to burn paint with the Flex. I've put a good 50+lbs of pressure on it, while keeping a cutting pad in the same spot on speed 6 with a heavy compound on very soft paint for over 2 minutes without burning through. I won't say it's impossible, especially if there are some underlying defects / thin spots, but with a little common sense there's no reason it should happen.

IMO handling the Flex alone is worth the price difference. Use a PC, Griots, etc for a few hours and your hands will hate you. They vibrate like crazy...the Flex is WAY smoother.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I think I'm going to start out with the PC because I have heard they handle polishes and stuff better. I have never had any kind of buffer before and am a true amateur as well. So I think it will be the best decision for me plus my car is a garage queen anyways.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have every polisher that you can think of.
Porter cable DA
Flex forced rotation DA
Flex rotary
Makita rotary
Cyclo dual head DA

Out of all of them I really like the Cyclo
Next is the Flex forced rotation DA
Last is the Porter cable DA
Both of the rotaries are for initial removal of sanding marks and heavy compounding. And polishing glass. Which needs a LOT of power.

Reasons.
Cyclo has almost no vibration and the most power.
Flex has almost as much power as the Cyclo. It's the perfect DA for small to medium areas using 5.5 inch pads.
Porter cable is by far the weakest. I still use it for small areas using 4 inch pads.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
Just bought a Flex and so far Im not a fan. Id rather use my rotary. The flex spins counter clockwise and I find it hard to control. Maybe Ill get use to it but then again when I have to switch back and forth between the rotary, the pc and then the flex I would think its gona be difficult with everything going in different direction.

AWDLS2

Established Member
I think I'm going to start out with the PC because I have heard they handle polishes and stuff better. I have never had any kind of buffer before and am a true amateur as well. So I think it will be the best decision for me plus my car is a garage queen anyways.

Get a Griots or HD Polisher the PC bog down really easy. Both are just as safe but just flat out better machines

MattZ28

Established Member
Just bought a Flex and so far Im not a fan. Id rather use my rotary. The flex spins counter clockwise and I find it hard to control. Maybe Ill get use to it but then again when I have to switch back and forth between the rotary, the pc and then the flex I would think its gona be difficult with everything going in different direction.

You'll get used to it in no time, especially if you have experience with a rotary. With more time using the machine, controlling it will be like second nature, even if you are using all three machines. :)

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member

Well if you decide to sell it let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread