Pay the fine?

samshady

Established Member
Was following a co-worker to an offsite facility this morning to do some work. Passed a state trooper going opposite direction saw him hit the brakes never looked at my speedometer. Trooper turns around lights me up so I put my turn signal on and proceed to move over. He passes me gets behind my buddy to pull him over. As I slowly start passing he flags me over in front of my buddy. I get a ticket for 68 in a 55 my buddy 71 in a 55. I guess the question is did he get radar on both of us at those speeds or did he just take in account my distance behind and write it for 3 miles slower? I haven't had a ticket in 8-9 years, my speedometer is about 5 mph slow, but I do own a GSXR 1000 and liking my dirt cheap insurance. What do you guys think?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
not sure if the local DA will Plea Bargain or not, find a local attorney who specializes in Traffic work and get a consultation. Many times they can negotiate it down to a lower offense.

oldmodman

Established Member
Had something like that happen to me once. I was the tail end charlie in a line of (probably) ten speeding cars. This was back in 1977
I stopped, he passed me stopped the next car and so on. By the time he stopped the first car in line he must have been over a mile away. So I just backed up 50 feet to the cross street I had just passed and made a right. And as I was making that right I saw the car up ahead of me making the same move. Never heard a thing about it. CHP must not have bothered taking down my plate number.

Motto of the story. To that CHP officer, don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Sometime your food just drives off before you can swallow.:shrug::thumbsup:

Oh, I almost forgot. Just pay the ticket and try to get traffic school.

jbs$

Established Member
It is never the cost of the ticket that is the problem, it is the ins. and lic. points. Even if you have not had a ticket in years, just taking the points, without a fight, eats into your safety margin should you get another one.

Hiring a lawer is a few hundred dollars, a cheap price to pay for a safety margin.

samshady

Established Member
Yeah I think I will have to fight it, if It had just been me and he clocked me wrote the ticket I would probably eat it. Since he is now claiming to have gotten us both and at different speeds I can't just take it and go.

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Most radar systems can get multiple vehicles at different speeds..... I'd think long and hard about fighting this.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Yeah I think I will have to fight it, if It had just been me and he clocked me wrote the ticket I would probably eat it. Since he is now claiming to have gotten us both and at different speeds I can't just take it and go.

See post below.

Most radar systems can get multiple vehicles at different speeds..... I'd think long and hard about fighting this.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
It wouldnt be that hard to get both your speeds....bro-in-law is a cop and he just pushes the button as he is meeting cars driving down the road and it says their speed. Hold it while multiple cars pass and it says each one as they drive by.

CNTLOSE

It is what it is...
Established Member
This....

What is your time worth to you? If your basis to fight this is the "two vehicle defense" you will lose.

jbs$

Established Member
Your goal should not be to beat the ticket, that's diffult to do. However, if you can get it reduced to something else that doesn't give you points that you pay for for years in your ins. Cost it is worth the effort.

Your goal should not be to beat the ticket, that's diffult to do. However, if you can get it reduced to something else that doesn't give you points that you pay for for years in your ins. Cost it is worth the effort.

+1

I would never pay a ticket outright. Lawyer up or go to court hoping you end up in a front of a gracious prosecutor to some how avoid the pts. You'll pay a fine either way in most cases, but your goal shoudl eb to see if you can avoid the pts.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
+1

I would never pay a ticket outright. Lawyer up or go to court hoping you end up in a front of a gracious prosecutor to some how avoid the pts. You'll pay a fine either way in most cases, but your goal shoudl eb to see if you can avoid the pts.

I agree, unless you're a habitual traffic offender the court isn't really worried about the points, per se. Mainly the fines...but you guys know that already.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, unless you're a habitual traffic offender the court isn't really worried about the points, per se. Mainly the fines...but you guys know that already.

One thing I can agree with you there. I've never had a prosecutor turn me down for reduction of speed, however they never change the fine amount...at least not in my experience. Worst case scenario is you get stuck with what you should have in the first place. Just show up to court early, dress nice, and talk to the prosecutor and I'm sure you'll get it reduced.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
One thing I can agree with you there. I've never had a prosecutor turn me down for reduction of speed, however they never change the fine amount...at least not in my experience. Worst case scenario is you get stuck with what you should have in the first place. Just show up to court early, dress nice, and talk to the prosecutor and I'm sure you'll get it reduced.

Looks like there's either a first time for everything or hell just froze over. :lol1: :beer:

samshady

Established Member
I'm still debating, as previously stated I haven't had a ticket in 8-9 years so this ticket isn't going to break me. I know my speedometer is off by around 5 mph still havent gotten the speedcal set quite right. I really don't want to pay $65 to have the speedometer checked, drive back to the court, take half day off from work, and still pay $200 fine. Guess I'm just whining at this point the running joke with some of the LTs on the PD here use to be "just let him fill the summons out himself he is more familiar with it then the rookies."

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It is never the cost of the ticket that is the problem, it is the ins. and lic. points. Even if you have not had a ticket in years, just taking the points, without a fight, eats into your safety margin should you get another one.

Hiring a lawer is a few hundred dollars, a cheap price to pay for a safety margin.

he is in VA. he can pay the ticket and then take a safe driving course to take the points off. but if he hasn't had a ticket in 8 or 9 years even after the ticket he will still be in positive points

Machdup1

Established Member
A lawyer will give you your best chance of a favorable outcome. Never go to court without representation.

Users who are viewing this thread