Paxton / Vortech - Changing Belts

Nomadic

Established Member
Any major secret to changing the belt out for a new one? It looks pretty straight forward, relieve the tensioner, slip the old belt off - then it looks like the head unit + a bracket needs to be removed before you can completely pull the old belt out, and slip the new one in?

lshin037

Established Member
No need to remove head unit or bracket. Just loosen the bracket. It helps to remove the fan shroud but I don't since its always a PITA to put it back.

dennisn

Established Member
No need to take off head unit but thought one of the spacers will have to come out to get belt on and off.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
As already said you will have to pull the idler pulley off the sc bracket to route the belt. If your belt is super tight, I found the easiest pulley to "walk" the belt onto was the alternator. It offers the most room for your hands and pry bar.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I dont know how people get the belt/spacer moved without taking the HU off. I've alwyas had to take it off becuase I dont have enough room to work with. Maybe someone can take a vid showing how they do it.

dennisn

Established Member
I dont know how people get the belt/spacer moved without taking the HU off. I've alwyas had to take it off becuase I dont have enough room to work with. Maybe someone can take a vid showing how they do it.

Loosen the bolts for the bracket should give you enough play to get the idler out and back in. Don't lose the spacer or washers that go to the idler. That's the fun part.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I know "how" it should be done but I can never do it lol. The pipe off the blower is in th way so it's remove that pipe from the bottom(and the rest of the piping below that) or pull the hu and remove it from the top.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
I know "how" it should be done but I can never do it lol. The pipe off the blower is in th way so it's remove that pipe from the bottom(and the rest of the piping below that) or pull the hu and remove it from the top.

I also HAD to remove my HU the first time since the stock pulley had loctite on the shaft. A puller was required to remove it and that cannot be done with it on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread