Paxton Install only 500 rwhp dyne numbers

IS1kSniper

Established Member
I recently installed a Paxton Novi 2200 SL on my 2014 A6 5.0 the mods I have are cat delete pipes, flow master outlaw 3 inch exhaust, JLT Cold Air Intake, Tial Q 50 mm BOV 47 lb injectors and can only manage to put down 500 rwhp....I originally had an issue with the car cutting off when put in gear, but that was solved by a boost leak! The car runs smooth with no surge, miss fire, no smoke, no hesitations drives like stock! When on the dyne it shows no signs of any issues other than flattening out in higher RPMs. The car's dyne graph compared to another dyno is exactly the same until upper rpms and my car stops making power.... I have been working on and off on the car for several weeks including the supercharger install. A smoke machine has been hooked to the car to search for additional leaks, performed a spark plug test, which came out fine, also the A/F is perfect, Fuel trim levels are great! I have no idea what is wrong and neither does my tuner we are running out of things to think of other than maybe a leak down test on the motor itself, the reason we haven't performed that is because of how good the car has run without any issues on dyne, or normal driving... thanks in advance guys any input is appreciated!

-Jeff

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
What kind of fuel are you running ? Stock pulley ? what are you shifting at? what RPM are you seeing the Peak power and Flattening ? What is your commanded Lamda vs Actual Lamda ? Post logs or a graph will certainly help us narrow down the issue. Sounds like fueling issue to me? but it's hard to say without more info.

Last edited:

IS1kSniper

Established Member
93 oct stock 3.8 pulley won't have a graph until tomorrow, not sure what Lamda is, but I can ask my tuner I think he has pretty much given up on the car he has tried everything! I just don't know what to do with it. I didn't think about this before, but when I dropped the car off I had 93 in it on a little more than quarter of a tank, I wonder if he put some other fuel in it say 87 just to start some type of tuning and that mixture is messing with stuff... I don't know much bout cars I'm really considering anything at this point especially after the long list of things the tuner has already tried....

IS1kSniper

Established Member
I have a stock converter I'm not sure how that plays a role with FI, MAF I imagine controls the gears/converter in some way being its an automatic idk My tuner even sent the log/tune files to compare to Shaun at AED and to REV Auto and they mentioned they were both normal, so I'm not sure whats next!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
93 oct stock 3.8 pulley won't have a graph until tomorrow, not sure what Lamda is, but I can ask my tuner I think he has pretty much given up on the car he has tried everything! I just don't know what to do with it. I didn't think about this before, but when I dropped the car off I had 93 in it on a little more than quarter of a tank, I wonder if he put some other fuel in it say 87 just to start some type of tuning and that mixture is messing with stuff... I don't know much bout cars I'm really considering anything at this point especially after the long list of things the tuner has already tried....

Lamda is used to measure air fuel based on a 14.7:1 Stoichmetric with regards to pure octane. Our cars have built in Widebands which measure air fuel in this method (Lamda) If your local tuner is done, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to shaun@aed via www.AEDHP.com he's an amazing tuner(mine) and he fairly consistenly gets the most power out of about every combo possible. All while keeping the car as safe as possible.

Your tuner should be able to tell if it's an octane issue based on the datalogs by looking at spark advance results from the run. Luckily our cars can forward and advance timing based upon octane up to + or - 5 degree's which gives you a 10 degree range on spark adjustment. If it gets to lean, i'll dial back timing if it gets too rich it'll advance timing.

Very sophisticated computers in the cars which is great! all this can be seen in the logs their pretty well key. 1st place I would look would be Pump and Injector duty cycles, too me it sounds like the car is running out of fuel. These cycles again are logged by the computer and can be captured via SCT LiveLink Gen II software. If this is too confusing to you based on your intermediate experience I highly suggest you contact Shaun@AED.

Last edited:

IS1kSniper

Established Member
Lamda is used to measure air fuel based on a 14.7:1 Stoichmetric with regards to pure octane. Our cars have built in Widebands which measure air fuel in this method (Lamda) If your local tuner is done, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to shaun@aed via www.AEDHP.com he's an amazing tuner(mine) and he fairly consistenly gets the most power out of about every combo possible. All while keeping the car as safe as possible.

Your tuner should be able to tell if it's an octane issue based on the datalogs by looking at spark advance results from the run. Luckily our cars can forward and advance timing based upon octane up to + or - 5 degree's which gives you a 10 degree range on spark adjustment. If it gets to lean, i'll dial back timing if it gets too rich it'll advance timing.

Very sophisticated computers in the cars which is great! all this can be seen in the logs their pretty well key. 1st place I would look would be Pump and Injector duty cycles, too me it sounds like the car is running out of fuel. These cycles again are logged by the computer and can be captured via SCT LiveLink Gen II software. If this is too confusing to you based on your intermediate experience I highly suggest you contact Shaun@AED.

Thanks for all this input BTW!

My tuner is good friends with Shaun from AED! I have felt that it was a fuel issue as well especially after my tuner switched from 900 cc Fuel Injector Clinic Injectors to 47 lb injectors because he was unfamiliar with the set up. When he switched from FICS to the 47s he gained 40 more horsepower over his original best tune with the FICS.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I have a stock converter I'm not sure how that plays a role with FI, MAF I imagine controls the gears/converter in some way being its an automatic idk My tuner even sent the log/tune files to compare to Shaun at AED and to REV Auto and they mentioned they were both normal, so I'm not sure whats next!

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or seem rude with regards to your tuner. If your car is truly only making 500 to the wheel, Adam and Shaun both would have seen something in the logs to explain the lacking power. Get a graph and your logs posted, I'm certain there's either a tune setting on the Advantage III side or an install issue on the fuel system aspect of your setup.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Thanks for all this input BTW!

My tuner is good friends with Shaun from AED! I have felt that it was a fuel issue as well especially after my tuner switched from 900 cc Fuel Injector Clinic Injectors to 47 lb injectors because he was unfamiliar with the set up. When he switched from FICS to the 47s he gained 40 more horsepower over his original best tune with the FICS.

You're most certainly welcome.

When you say 47# Injectors are you referring to the FRPP LU47's ? If so, I know for a fact Shaun and Adam have tuned enough cars with those injectors (Primary mod to run e85 NA) they can tune them in their sleep. I'd say your tuner has more tweaking to go on you injectors, most guys do ID 725's at minimum with that setup which are 68# I'd imagine if you ever pulley the Paxton or go to e85 or both you're going to end up needing to upgrade injectors to ID1000's I'd ask your tuner if he has experience tuning Injector Dynamics. If so, I'd measure twice and cut once just my .02

IS1kSniper

Established Member
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or seem rude with regards to your tuner. If your car is truly only making 500 to the wheel, Adam and Shaun both would have seen something in the logs to explain the lacking power. Get a graph and your logs posted, I'm certain there's either a tune setting on the Advantage III side or an install issue on the fuel system aspect of your setup.

Sounds good, I will get all this info and post it up tomorrow! Thanks! What do you mean by install issue for fuel system?

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Sounds good, I will get all this info and post it up tomorrow! Thanks! What do you mean by install issue for fuel system?

Injector hardware issue/boost a pump issue. Regardless, it's fuel related I'd check logs and send them to shaun personally get his take, then confirm proper install on all of your fuel system upgrades.

green99_svt

Established Member
How many lbs of boost is it making? Maybe you have belt slip. I would check the belt and tensioner also to rule that out

IS1kSniper

Established Member
Low Dyno

I have not had a chance to run by the tuning shop yet and get my car we agreed on doing a leak down test on the motor next! Yes, those are the 47lb injectors I was talking about. Also, when the tuner switched from the FIC 900cc injectors to the 47s he gained roughly 45 horsepower! If it was something wrong with the motor why would the increase in horsepower come just by switching injectors. Again, I did ask about the graph and logs I will have them when I pick up the car and when I inquired about the dyne sheet the tuner mentioned the curve being perfectly identical with other mustangs similar mods with the paxton kit until higher rpms and mine flattens out and doesn't make any power. My tuner did send logs and dyne graphs to Shaun at AED and to REV auto and they seem to think the tune is good along with logs and graph sheet. So I do not know where to go from there!?

IS1kSniper

Established Member
I have not had a chance to run by the tuning shop yet and get my car we agreed on doing a leak down test on the motor next! Yes, those are the 47lb injectors I was talking about. Also, when the tuner switched from the FIC 900cc injectors to the 47s he gained roughly 45 horsepower! If it was something wrong with the motor why would the increase in horsepower come just by switching injectors. Again, I did ask about the graph and logs I will have them when I pick up the car and when I inquired about the dyne sheet the tuner mentioned the curve being perfectly identical with other mustangs similar mods with the paxton kit until higher rpms and mine flattens out and doesn't make any power. My tuner did send logs and dyne graphs to Shaun at AED and to REV auto and they seem to think the tune is good along with logs and graph sheet. So I do not know where to go from there!?

PC03GT

Established Member
Damn man, you just can't get right with that thing. You should be putting down close to or over 600 easy

IS1kSniper

Established Member
Low Dyno

Damn man, you just can't get right with that thing. You should be putting down close to or over 600 easy

Yea I know if you count the install it has been almost 2 months this project... and Im getting impatient with it! I decided to get it from my tuner and do a leak down test make sure the motor is not bad then I am going to take it else where..... not to mention he hit a pothole and my rim looks like boo boo.....

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Is it a mustang dyno? How much timing is in it? I could see 500rwhp on a mustang dyno with low timing.

IS1kSniper

Established Member
Update

Is it a mustang dyno? How much timing is in it? I could see 500rwhp on a mustang dyno with low timing.

The car on the dyno shows boost levels of 8.5-9 and I had my father in law who is a certified mechanic do a motor leak down test and compression check and the motor is fine... So I don't know whats wrong with the car I'm waiting on the email for my log files and dyno sheets... Im not sure if its a mustang dyno I believe it is! Also, I have 28 inch drag radials and the front are 27 inches so idk if that matters much... With this combo it put down 503 rwhp with spot on AFR and fuel trim levels......

Users who are viewing this thread