Paxton/fan fitment issues

BSyo1021

Established Member
So I'm in the process of bolting up a Paxton supercharger kit and I have run into an issue where there isn't enough space to fit the fan back into the engine along with the supercharger kit. This is caused by my boss 302R radiator I believe. Its 2.5 inches instead of the factory 1. Only solution I can come up with would be to find a slim or smaller fan since I don't think I can even cut enough off of the stock fan to fit with it still functioning. Is it a terrible idea to run the car without the fan? Its a weekend fun car so shouldn't do too much in traffic etc where it really needs the fan. I have gauges I'll be installing as well to help monitor coolant temps etc. Just looking for some feedback and possible experience in similar situations. Thanks

5lho

Established Member
It's lethal to run without the fan. It's on nearly all the time, even in less warm climes like mine. Your option is to go back to the stock rad or find a slimmer fan and then try to integrate it into the computer control for the stock fan, which might be a problem, IDK.

It was fricking tight with the stock stuff on my Vortech install so, I'm not surprised you are running out of real estate.

hirting

Established Member
Do you have the stock fan or did you upgrade to the FRPP GT500 Fan (7 Blade)? Either way, I believe the directions for installing the Paxton call for modifying the fan shroud in order to allow clearance.

I am going to be installing my Paxton in a couple of weeks and have a FRPP all aluminum radiator (two to three times the width over stock) and FRPP 7 blade fan. I really hope this is not going to create problems with clearance. :cuss:

Has anybody else installed a Paxton with the FRPP/Boss Radiator and 7 Blade Fan and could you share any installation tips?

BSyo1021

Established Member
I have the stock fan not the gt500 one. I do have the FRPP radiator though. the 600-700 dollar one right? Whats the measurement of your fans depth? I'll measure mine when I get home but off the top of my head I would guess about 4-5 inches. Also I did modify the fan as per the instructions but to no avail. It looks like I'm going to take the stock fan and just go to town and see what I cant make happen to start. Buying a slim fan is the backup for now. I'll keep this updated.

hirting

Established Member
Yes, I have the 600-700 dollar FRPP aluminum radiator as well. The FRPP fan looks to be very similar in dimensions. In some ways very slightly more compact around the center of the fan. Best of luck and I hope you are able to make it work. I will continue to look for your update. Also, I will post my results after my install towards the end of July.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
The stock fan housing is cut to make room for the ic piping it's a tight fit the headunit against the fan with the stock radiator so if yours is a little wider it can easily be a problem! And fan is on just about all the time even in cool temps so you really do need a fan

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
I run an even bigger radiator, Ford Racing. I had to get a slim fan setup from a procharger kit. Procharger may sell it separately to you.

jp1seattle

Established Member
I always thought that if someone made a plug n play slim fan, it would sell really well to all us frustrated Paxton/Vortech owners.

BSyo1021

Established Member
The procharger slim fan sounds like it could be a good option along with the JPC one. The only thing I found without calling and requesting a special order was a mishimoto standalone fan or a "SR" slim fan. Same mishimoto fan in a metal shroud lol. But not plug and play just wires you have to figure out how to route etc. Anyways I'm posting give an update on the fan situation. So ultimately I spent probably a good 3-4 hours or so essentially taking the stock fan and MAKING a slim design. lol it was not fun but I'll be damned if I didn't make it work! I still haven't finished up two other random things to start the car and let it run to make sure everything is happy yet but the fan clears everything for now and looks like it should work just fine! It was frustrating, time consuming, and looks pretty ridiculous, but if your wanting to save the money you CAN make your stock fan work with literally any radiator out there seeing as I'm running the biggest one (that I know of). Hopefully this helps someone else out there be aware of potential head ache going in to the project or give some know how to determine their own fix! What I forgot to do was get a measurement of the fan before I got to cutting it to pieces. But anyone out there with a stock fan intact could give that. I can get a measurement after the cutting if people are interested. Lastly, I do have pictures and am trying to get them visible to you all somehow..

GBCoyote

Established Member
Glad you got something figured out to where it'll work!

My procharger shroud came with a Spal fan. The fan had a positive and ground wire which plugged into the OEM plug ports. It all slid right in nice and neat and I've had this setup for about a year now with no issues.

hirting

Established Member
The procharger slim fan sounds like it could be a good option along with the JPC one. The only thing I found without calling and requesting a special order was a mishimoto standalone fan or a "SR" slim fan. Same mishimoto fan in a metal shroud lol. But not plug and play just wires you have to figure out how to route etc. Anyways I'm posting give an update on the fan situation. So ultimately I spent probably a good 3-4 hours or so essentially taking the stock fan and MAKING a slim design. lol it was not fun but I'll be damned if I didn't make it work! I still haven't finished up two other random things to start the car and let it run to make sure everything is happy yet but the fan clears everything for now and looks like it should work just fine! It was frustrating, time consuming, and looks pretty ridiculous, but if your wanting to save the money you CAN make your stock fan work with literally any radiator out there seeing as I'm running the biggest one (that I know of). Hopefully this helps someone else out there be aware of potential head ache going in to the project or give some know how to determine their own fix! What I forgot to do was get a measurement of the fan before I got to cutting it to pieces. But anyone out there with a stock fan intact could give that. I can get a measurement after the cutting if people are interested. Lastly, I do have pictures and am trying to get them visible to you all somehow..

Hi BSyo1021,

I am going to start my supercharger install this week. It would be awesome if you could add your pictures and some guidance. I know this is going to be a PITA based on what you have described.

Thanks again and let us know how your car is running.

sdoo500

Established Member
Fan was definitely the worst part of the install on my track pack car with the boss radiator. I ended up switching to a regular Gt radiator and kept stock fan. Cheaper then replacing fan and I didn't want to mess with potential heating issues of a smaller fan.

Fosters

Established Member
My stock fan just went out so I went with the GT500 one. Be careful, the GT500 fan sits a little lower in the shroud, or its a bit bigger, can't tell... bottom line is, it sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inches closer to the bottom edge than the stock fan, which makes the corner brackets not all that great fitting... I have still yet to figure out how to make it fit perfectly...

can any of you post pics of the procharger slim fan?

GBCoyote

Established Member
fan_zpsnimm8ljd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread