Paxton blown 5.0 Whats next?

What is the next most beneficial mod for me?

• Circle D Converter 3600stall

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Boss intake Manifold

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Stainless works headers w' xpipe

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
Ok so now that the blower is on and my car is running great thanks to the lund tune i was curious as to what would be the best power mod to do next that isn't going to cost me an arm & leg.

Currently i have only lethal o/rhpipe, gt500 a/b, evo 75lb injectors, Jlt intake, vortech bap, Paxton 2200 10lbs of boost, bmr adjustable panhard, and frpp P springs.

On a mustang dyno i put down 545/446 @ 7200rpm for some reason hitting 501tq at 4100 then slowly losing torque to the 7200rpm. My question is what would be my next mod to get the most bang for my buck. This car will mostly be for driving around town/cruising. Maybe 3-4 times at the local dragstrip this year and at least 1 night a week doing some highway pulls. So i'm looking for mods that will benefit it from a roll more than anything else. Don't start some kind of roll racing sucks post i have already heard it.

This Paxton pulls hard and just keeps pulling but to compete with some of the cars where i live i need a little more. I have been doing some research and i'm curious to see if the Boss intake is worth it. I'm in higher rpms a lot and i think it would be a benefit for me. Next would be Circle d converter. I know that for dig racing i need to get this but would it help at all from a roll? My car being so quiet now is starting to get to me so i was debating on Stainless works headers as well. I have been told that Less backpressure = less boost on a SC so would headers give as good as gains as i would get from the boss intake or converter. I'm lost at this point and i need some direction haha.

Quick flyby vid:
[youtube_browser]zBWF7GVIHZ4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Turbo900rr

Established Member
I think for the money the biggest gains you have left to be made is to switch to e85. Your injectors seem to big enough already. You should be able to add a few more pounds of boost and quite a bit of timing and see 75 maybe 100 more hp. I'd say talk to your tuner about this and see what he thinks.

RusWolf

Established Member
next week my car will be tuned with Boss IM and on E85. After you see my result's you'll see what you can gain.

Here is my set up.

Roush a/b, ID1000 injectors, Jlt intake, vortech bap, Paxton 2200 and will be E85 tune and 91+ octane if E85 is not available on long drives. The whole set up should be tuned at 7300 RPM redline if Shaun thinks it's safe.
In any case you will be able to compare to my result's since as far as power mods we have almost the same set up.

i would say start with Boss IM for several reasons.

1) Can be purchased used from another member for an affordable price
2) Easy install
3) Sexy look's under the hood
4) Should pick up few horses on the top.

Last edited:

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
What type of dyno will you be tuning on? Also did you have to get something special to be able to use the boss intake? I read somewhere there is some kind of extender for the vortech/paxton blowers. I can't wait to see your results. I would love to switch to e85 as there is a gas station 5 miles from my house but rumor around here is its staying e56 winter blend all year now. We will see i guess

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
all good mods, the converter will get you the most e.t. out of your combo. I would do that before the boss. I pulled mine off as the car was lazier out of the whole without the converter. With the converter now, the boss is nasty.

Lemme know when your ready for the headers

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
not sure your going to have enough fuel volume for e85 without bigger pumps/return style system on a blower car. just my opinion. id go stall for sure.

SicShelby09

Banned
Not sure why nobody posted this yet, but a smaller blower pulley is the no brainer thing to install. You will probably need a retune, but if you want more power then do the smaller pulley. If you dont want to chance that, then a small 50 or 75 shot of spray would be #2. After that would be headers. Thats the path I think would be the most bang for your buck.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
Nitrous is no go for me. I think i would need a retune for pretty much any mod at this point maybe except for the headers but i would want one just to be safe anyway. My tune is extremely safe with i believe 15 degrees timing and 11.0 afr across the rpms. I think after i decide which one of these mods i'm going to get i will get a new tune that is a little more on the lean side. maybe high 11ish. I should of got id1000's for the e85. FML! Does anyone know the benefits of a converter from a roll?

RusWolf

Established Member
What type of dyno will you be tuning on? Also did you have to get something special to be able to use the boss intake? I read somewhere there is some kind of extender for the vortech/paxton blowers. I can't wait to see your results. I would love to switch to e85 as there is a gas station 5 miles from my house but rumor around here is its staying e56 winter blend all year now. We will see i guess

I don't know what dyno is it on. Whatever Shaun from AED has in his shop.
Yes you need a BOSS IM install kit from Vortech. I think winter blend is E75.
But i several E85 stations close to me.
1 is Shell like 3 miles from my apartment and then there is several on base.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Not sure why nobody posted this yet, but a smaller blower pulley is the no brainer thing to install. You will probably need a retune, but if you want more power then do the smaller pulley. If you dont want to chance that, then a small 50 or 75 shot of spray would be #2. After that would be headers. Thats the path I think would be the most bang for your buck.

Everytime I read a post from you it's a "no brainer". I hope you know what your talking about cause I dont want to be in the brainless category:beer:

implosive

Established Member
i also vote pulley. you wont lose torque like you would with the boss, you won't make your car absolutely obnoxiously loud like adding headers (not to mention comparing the cost of buying a pulley and swapping it, and buying headers and spending 8 hours putting them in, or payings hundreds to get them installed). Pulley and a BAP and you'll be making well over 600rwhp in a matter of an hour or two.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
do what beefcake said to do. Go with what works. Convertor, then boss manifold, then longtubes.

BV600

Established Member
Converter! Putting a Converter on my Cam/Nitrous Z28 turned it into a differant animal

Users who are viewing this thread