Pats issues

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
My pats alarm will go off if I unlock either the driver or passenger side doors with the key. I have two original keys and it will set off the pats alarm with both keys. I always have to use the keyless remote to unlock the doors. The car has no problems starting with either key. Any ideas as to what is wrong and is there a way to just get rid of the Pats entirely.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
So you are saying the alarm is supposed to go off if unlocked with the car keys.

If you do not use your remote to deactivate the alarm, and try to open/unlock the car, then hell yeah, the alarm will go off.

How else is an alarm supposed to work? :poke:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
My car must be a fluke because I can lock the car with the remote, then open the doors with my key and it doesn't set off the alarm.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
My car must be a fluke because I can lock the car with the remote, then open the doors with my key and it doesn't set off the alarm.

Yeah, my car used to be the same way. The guy above thinks its ok for the alarm to go off while using the car keys. Not sure how that makes any sense. Anyways, I did some searching and there is a sensor on the lock cylinder in each door. Mine must have gone bad. When the weather clears up I will try to clean them up and get them to work. If not then hopefully I can buy more.

makriluc

Established Member
Don't know about the 98 or the 95. But with my 96 I can lock with the remote and unlock with the key without the alarm blasting out. Like solidsnakesvt is saying there are sensors on each door locks, so your is probably not doing a connection.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
There is a key sense wire in each door that is activated when the key is turned to the unlock possition. They get crudded up and stop making contact. loosen up the latch and spray it down with some WD-40 and it may start making contact again.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
My apology to the OP.

I just reviewed my old 94-95 key, and it did not have a PATS chip in it. This is why I was unaware that there was a co-relation between the door keyway and the pats transponder in the key like there is with the ignition switch's transciever.

Here is my new 99-01 Cobra key on the left and the old 95 key on the right...during my motor swap.

oldandnewkeys.jpg

The people above seem to have a solution to the problem. I think it should be a simple enough fix without trying to eliminate PATS which is a theft hinderance and a benefit for you to have.

Good Luck!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread