PATS active after MS#PNP install

zredfire04

Established Member
Finally installed my black friday MS3PNP. Now my theft light is flashing and car won't start. I have scoured the internet and not found this issue with an aftermarket ECU. My question is, can PATS prevent an aftermarket ECU from running the engine, or do I have something that needs changed in the MS3?

I can't even find a solid answer on how the PATS prevents and engine from running.

TIA

01yellercobra

Established Member
The PATS is no longer active with the MS3. My guess is something isn't set up right in the tune. Does it try to catch at all or does it just spin?

zredfire04

Established Member
It just spins. Using the provided "good to go" tune from the vendor, but I'll see if I can find something amiss. It's coughed a couple times, but that's about it. Pretty disheartening.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can take a look at it if you'd like. Might be something simple.

First thing is the basic stuff. Make sure the correct fuel system type is selected. Then make sure the required fuel is correct for the injectors.

There's a high speed logger in TunerStudio you can use to make sure the ignition side of things are good.

zredfire04

Established Member
I set reqfuel to 42lb injectors as mine are still stock. everything else I left as is. I may try some high speed logging, but first I'm going to flash the tune again. There were some discrepancies when I first turned it on that I just clicked through that might be at issue.

My big question was whether PATS could affect this ECM. I didn't know if some signal to the engine went through it or something. Since none of that is the case, I'll assume it's something I've done wrong and see if I can get it sorted.

Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
The base map from DIY should have the data for the stock 39's. If you're still running the stock fuel system I'd suggest putting that data back.

But no, the PATS is no longer an issue.

zredfire04

Established Member
That could be the whole problem. I thought the stock injectors were 42lb. I'll change that back and see what happens.

Edit: changed reqfuel, still no action. I'm getting out of the cobra and into the bourbon. Will think of other ideas and see if any stick.

Last edited:

zredfire04

Established Member
AFAIK the engine is stock everything except upper and lower pulleys. No BAP, no widebands, stock fuel system. I wanted to get it running on MS before doing the major mods I have planned. Wanted to eliminate what for me is the biggest chaos factor.

IDK if it matters, but MAP signal doesn't move while cranking. Seems odd to me.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, it should start on the tune that comes with the ECU then.

That does seem odd about the MAP not moving. Where did you tap into for the MAP source?

zredfire04

Established Member
The black vacuum tube behind the glove box. Mine has a vacuum reservoir and not the union I see in all the install videos. I hooked mine up so the map sensor is between the engine and the reservoir. I'm suspicious about that, but I think it should at least start.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Dumb question... Did you calibrate all the sensors in TunerStudio?

Did a previous owner install the reservoir? If it's what I think it is, you shouldn't need one on a stock engine.

zredfire04

Established Member
I calibrated the tps, which is the only thing that I was aware needed calibration.
The reservoir appears to be factory installed. My car is from near the end of production. It's just an oblong black capsule that a tee in the black vacuum line attaches directly to.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to calibrate the temp sensors too. I'm not sure if you have to set up the FRPS as well as I'm return style. There's a calibration tab at the top. I don't remember if it's under another tab though.

Look up Black Fox EFI on youtube. His videos are really good.

Can you post a pic of the reservoir? I'm curious now.

zredfire04

Established Member
I calibrated the temp sensors, no love. I'm starting to think that it's a fuel issue. I changed a gauge to read fuel pressure, and it shows 120kPa while cranking, which is about 17psi. Either that gauge is wrong, or I found a problem. Hard to find info on the PWM settings for the fuel pumps.

I also checked the MAP sensor. It works, so there's likely an issue with the vacuum source I selected as well.

I'll snap a pic of that reservoir.

zredfire04

Established Member
Here's that reservoir.

After cranking for a while, I get a cam fault.

I hear the fuel pump prime when I key on, but fuel pressure gauge on tuner studio never goes above 30psi.

Attachments

• 20240131_211235.jpg
    20240131_211235.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 36

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
It's possible you may need more fuel at cranking / start up. Post a data log and tune file on this Facebook group after joining:

Megasquirt Mustangs FAQ

96dreamer

Established Member
I don't have an 03 but I believe there is a check valve on the vacuum canister circuit to operate the hvac controls. This allows them to work when the engine is under low or no vacuum and would cause issues being used with a map sensor. Try tapping into the yellow vacuum line in the picture you posted which should be the line the boost gauge uses with a direct route to the manifold.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think I've ever seen one of those. That's interesting.

I never messed with the PWM table for the pumps, but I know a couple guys that started returnless and AFAIK they never changed anything in that table.

The cam fault is a fairly normal thing. It should still start with that fault. It would start in batch fire though.

Can you post the tune? I'm kind of curious about things.

zredfire04

Established Member
I don't have an 03 but I believe there is a check valve on the vacuum canister circuit to operate the hvac controls. This allows them to work when the engine is under low or no vacuum and would cause issues being used with a map sensor. Try tapping into the yellow vacuum line in the picture you posted which should be the line the boost gauge uses with a direct route to the manifold.
I switched the MAP to the yellow tube. kPa goes down maybe 2 when cranking.

Users who are viewing this thread