Passing emissions with offroad pipe

Rct851

Established Member
When purchased my car was AED tuned with an OR mid. Pass every year in TX but we just have the scan/visual tests. No sniff.

No CEL and no mil eliminators.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Just to keep this all as uncertain as possible I will add my experience.

I failed the test in Texas with an orx pipe and an aed tune. There were no codes shown but one of the things the test looks for would not “show ready”

This was 2 or so years ago and I believe aed told me something along the lines of all cars are different

96gt02

Established Member
Yeah no reputable online tuner is going to make your catless car show ready as it way to risky for them, only a local place may do it for you at a hefty price, and most tuners will just turn off the rear O2 sensors so they dont throw any codes but as stated you still pass because they show not ready status for emissions. I believe Shaun does even leave the rear 02s on in his catless tunes because they help keep the fronts accurate from what Ive read on his posts... so he must have some other way of keeping the CEL off with the rear O2s on, I think you can set the ECM to not shown certain codes but nonetheless still no MIL readiness.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just to keep this all as uncertain as possible I will add my experience.

I failed the test in Texas with an orx pipe and an aed tune. There were no codes shown but one of the things the test looks for would not “show ready”

This was 2 or so years ago and I believe aed told me something along the lines of all cars are different

I think it’s 2 not ready allowed here in TX. Can’t recall honestly. My car does have all four O2s. I’ve since retuned for E85 with a diff tuner and no CEL and pass every time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Well the time is approaching for me to get my car tested. Ended up going with the mini-cat o2 spacers in my first post and hoping that will do the trick. Got an emissions tune from my tuner that will turn the rear o2's on. As far as other people passing without o2 spacers your state probably has different requirements. Illinois is one of the stricter states and you cant have any "not ready" conditions or you will fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

pwrshft99

Established Member
Im now in Chicago and will have to deal with this soon. Best advice from people I've asked in the area?? Find the shadyest looking shop that can do emissions testing and bring some cash. Know an import guy that can't be close to emissions legal, he passed inspection at a Midas

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Do MIL eliminators actually set the Catalyst monitor to Ready or just avoid the CEL?

I used them years ago but only to keep the check engine light off on my 2V with longtubes. I sold it before having to pass emissions.
Yes, the voltage to the computer reads as being correct, and it tricks the system into thinking the cats are working. Everything will be recognized as ready on an OBDII scanner.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Too bad the 05 and newer mustangs aren’t able to do this. Would be a lot easier than running o2 spacers.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Im now in Chicago and will have to deal with this soon. Best advice from people I've asked in the area?? Find the shadyest looking shop that can do emissions testing and bring some cash. Know an import guy that can't be close to emissions legal, he passed inspection at a Midas
Yup pretty much sums it up, or getting passed by "knowing a guy" who will do it for you lol fastest and easiest way to go about it without having to swap midpipes back or anything

Gruca

Established Member
Yup pretty much sums it up, or getting passed by "knowing a guy" who will do it for you lol fastest and easiest way to go about it without having to swap midpipes back or anything

Or move to Peotone or further south. Once you hit Peotone, no emissions.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Sorry just to be clear not ripping, was just making a joke. Wish i lived in a place that didnt have emissions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread