Passenger header stud

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
I GIVE UP!!! 4:25 AM here and have been working on my Prochamber install since 11:00 PM. The problem? the freakin lower passenger side header nut!! The stud acted like it wanted to back out so I thought it would be fine. Kept on wrenching on it with an OBSCENE amount of force and even with a 2 foot breaker bar it barely wanted to budge. Went to Wal-mart, bought some PB Blaster and that didn't help at all. It finally slipped and rounded off the head of the nut and now I guess I'm screwed. After countless mid-pipe installs on previous cars and friend's cars, I admit defeat. Any tips on what to do next?

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Even with it rounded off? Can you explain exactly what I need and the procedure for this? I've brainstormed and thought maybe a dremel with a cutoff wheel and a 90 degree adapter and just cutoff the nut by placing 2 cuts on opposite sides.

MystichromeVert

Established Member
I'm not sure what you should do now that the nut is rounded off. I know mine was a pain in the butt to get off. I couldn't get a socket directly on it without the Kmember interfering. I ended up using a socket/universal combo (a 1 piece tool, not a universal and a socket) to get the bolt off. Good Luck!

Quick Strike

Established Member
Use an acetylene torch, heat the nut until it glows red, turn off the torch, quickly put a wrench that fits or jams on the nut and spin it off white it is hot. Repeat this procedure as necessary if it tightens before coming off. It should spin right off with no effort.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Quick Strike said:
Use an acetylene torch, heat the nut until it glows red, turn off the torch, quickly put a wrench that fits or jams on the nut and spin it off white it is hot. Repeat this procedure as necessary if it tightens before coming off. It should spin right off with no effort.

Good point. Or........just apply a little O2 while your heating that puppy up and cut the damn thing off! Of course, then you get to hassle with what's left of the stud...

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
I used PB Blaster, I found it works better than WD-40 in cases like this before.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I don't know about a do it yourselfer, but I had a buddy do the same thing and a muffler shopped got it off for like $20... I guess that could be a last resort...

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
go to sears and buy a bolt out. they are for removing stripped bolts. it's like an ez out for bolts. turn that sucker on there and wack it with an impact.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I had this same problem on my bullitt, i took it to a shop and put it on a lift,pounded a 1 size smaller (standard) socket on it and hit it with a impact that was ghetto as can be but it worked
I went to try and install the x-pipe on the cobra today and had no luck with the passenger bolts as well so I said f-it for now. I may try and runn the car till its good and hot then try the bolts even thoguh i am sure to burn myself.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
FYI just in case you chew up one of those studs, the passenger and driver's side use different studs. I had to replace one. Went to the dealer and they had two different kinds. They were also ~10 bucks each!!

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Well the good news is the bolt is off. The bad news is so is almost all of the stud! It broke almost flush with the header flange. I have another stud and nut ordered but now I just need some advice on how to get the rest of the stud out of the flange.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Drill bits are useless! It just laughs at me each time I hit it with the drill bit. I'm thinking about just putting it together and taking it to an exhaust shop and give them the new bolt and $100 telling them I'll be back to pick it up later..... If they can't do it then I guess its header time

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
At this point, I think you're stuck with pulling the manifold. If that thing is so seized that it broke the bolt, you are going to have to drill and tap the hole. I would recommend pulling it and taking it to a machine shop if you don't have the tools or expertise to do it yourself. If left to a muffler shop, who knows what you'll end up with. It's hard to believe that such a simple project can turn into a nightmare, huh. Murphey's law. Good luck!

mosconiac

Established Member
I feel for you man! That really sucks that a simple job blew up in your face. Don't let this beat you, tough it out!

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
It's posts like these that make me glad that CA Smog laws are keeping me from doing anything with the exhaust other than a Catback.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
Muffler shops won't touch it. Buying some JBA shorties that are in the Market for $325. Guess it's as good as time as any to upgrade huh? It's real yucky weather here anyway, and I have a LFP heat exchanger coming in to. I'll just leave the car on jackstands and be patient. Do you have to pull the k-member for shorties?

Users who are viewing this thread