Pass Ga Emissions?..331 Stroker Turboed

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
Hey does anyone who lives in georgia or has lived in Georgia that knows anything about the Emmisions laws know if I could get a 331 turboed stroker with all the goodies to pass emissions? Im in Iraq right now but will be looking to be getting a fox mustang with a 331 in it and turboing it but dont know if I can get it street legal without going the illegal route. I have heard about getting emmisions tunes and stuff like that but want to know before I dive head first into a project that I cant drive on the roads legally. Thanks for any info

The Joker

Johnny Rev Customs
Established Member
what emissions?? lol. your good to go man. we have guys running around here with no cats, straight pipes, etc. lol.

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
lol yea but you have to get the yearly emmisions done and most people put there catted h pipes and stuff to go get emmisions tested then back to old setup. I used to have a guy I could pay 50 bucks and he would pass anything I had but he got busted so now I have to look towards going it legally...lol to bad but if anyone has run emmisions with any similar setup in Ga let me know

The Joker

Johnny Rev Customs
Established Member
to answer your question though, yes you can build one that is like you want. mainly, just make sure you have a full exhaust. i have never had to emissions test my car and i live in Ga. guess its just the city?? :shrug: i've lived here my whole life. just keep you a "race exhaust" so to say and bolt it up for track days. you just need to pass the test once and then back to no cats..lol.

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
Yea i plan on keeping some high flow cats on it all the time anyways I dont like the sound with the offroad pipes to much they crackle a lot. I just wanted to make sure a fully forged 331 with forced induction would pass. It must be just in the city if you dont have to do it. Ever since I have lived around atlanta we have always had to get emmisions done on all our cars. I wish I didnt that would be nice I could do whatever I wanted then and not have to worry. But thanks bro. If anyone has done it and had emmisions done around atlanta let me know, I think im going to go for it anyways and just hope it passes but would like to hear from someone who has already done it.

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
I would say it's possible and have heard people have passed with even more mods than what you have planned. Make sure the tune is good with your air/fuel ratio. You'll have to run a catted pipe for visual inspection or run an offroad with gutted cats. I say take it in and see how close it comes to passing. I see a ton of cars here just blowing plumes of smoke going down the road and they somehow passed.

I don't have any experience smogging my Mustang because it has no emissions equipment. I've had to use the address of a relative that lives outside the smog area so I can get it tagged. I did have to have my little 89 Ranger smogged and it took a few tries to pass. Had to replace a few parts like EGR and O2 sensor then run a bottle of guarantee to pass through it and it barely made it on the third try. FWIW if you fail the first test you get a free retake. If you have to go for a third test it'll cost you another $25. GA has a waiver program where if you spend I believe $700 or so just on parts to fix the problem AND it shows improvement in test results then you get a waiver for the year but it's only valid for that year.

The Joker

Johnny Rev Customs
Established Member
damn i never even knew we had emissions in ga. thats crazy. i've never done one in my life. hmmm...anyways, go for it man and let us know how it does. good luck with the project and since your in ga, come see us ya hear?? lol.

Edit. i'm from ga. so i can say that...lol. oh and stay safe in iraq man. thank ya for what you are doing for our country..

Last edited:

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
Thanks guys for everything...i am going to go for it but will be some months till I get the car and start on the project. Gotta get the wife the 07 Yukon xl first that will hurt the pocket for a couple months but ill be getting on it and as soon as that thing passes emmsions ill post a thread about it cause I know theres a lot of people who are scared to buy a car cause they dont know if they can get it to pass the smog test. Thanks again

88gtstreetrod

Established Member
I am in GA and have a 331 with Performer RPM heads, mild cam, no smog, dumps, long tubes, etc.... I put some cats on, retarded the timing and fuel and passed with no problems.

The Joker

Johnny Rev Customs
Established Member
88gtstreetrod said:
I am in GA and have a 331 with Performer RPM heads, mild cam, no smog, dumps, long tubes, etc.... I put some cats on, retarded the timing and fuel and passed with no problems.

hmm...i guess i never looked into it. i'm still amazed we have emissions tests here in Ga. and i never knew. like i said, must be just in the city. i've lived here my whole life and never had to take one. advantage of living in the country...

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
Well... so I guess it depends on the city you live in, then. That's weird. I lived in Augusta, GA for 5 years (moved August last year) and never even heard of emissions tests. I drove around in my car (had no cats, still doesn't have a smog pump... heck it doesn't even have a charcoal canister, which means hidrocarbons go right out of the tank to the air... EGR disconnected, and dumps.) Never had a problem, and as far as I know there's still no yearly inspection. I have a catted H now... maybe I'm a tree hugger... but it quiets the exhaust a bit. I sware I ended up with a headache everytime I drove around before the cated H pipe went on.

Hey man, thanks for your services down there in Iraq. Hope you ALL come back soon!!!

Last edited:

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
LOL yea I have lived in atlanta for 11 years and have had to get all my vehicles smogged...my 91 rx7 that I had when I was 17 failed and had to pay a guy $50 bucks to pass it..hahaha i wish we didnt have emmisions there but oh well if 88gtstreetrod can make his pass emmisions and that with no smog pump or anything just cats then I should be great. I want Cats anyways..stops the crackeling a little. But thanks everyone this def makes me feel better about getting that setup and knowing I will be able to make it pass.

Users who are viewing this thread