Parts list for built rear

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
So I know everyone will ask what my goals are so here they are, within the next year or two I want to do some sort of forced induction with a hp goal of 600. The car sees about 10k miles of street miles a year and 30-60 1/4 mile runs. I want a setup that is preety bulletproof.I know the 28 spline tracklock is a weak link but it was brand new and Free lol. What else should I get ?

PARTS GATHERED SO FAR:
frpp 4.10's
Custom 4 clutch 28 spline tracklock diff
Aluminum driveshaft

Last edited:

svtcobralover

Established Member
So I know everyone will ask what my goals are so here they are, within the next year or two I want to do some sort of forced induction with a hp goal of 600. The car sees about 10k miles of street miles a year and 30-60 1/4 mile runs. I want a setup that is preety bulletproof.I know the 28 spline tracklock is a weak link but it was brand new and Free lol. What else should I get ?

PARTS GATHERED SO FAR:
frpp 4.10's
Custom 4 clutch 28 spline tracklock diff

Get rid of the 28 spline track lock. You need a 31 spline at least. I personally like the 03-04 Cobra diffs. It's an all around good diff. Strong for the street and full rebuildable. Go with either Strange or Moser 31 spline axles.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
^ What he said. I bought a 03 04 diff from the dealer & orderd ford racing 31spline axles from summit. It was funny because summit back orderd the axles then couldn't give me an ETA. It turned out they came from FRP's wearhouse wich is in Livonia. about 15 min from me lol.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
No you don't need C-clip eliminators.

03 Cobra 31 spline carbon fiber clutches differential
Moser 31 spline axles
FRPP gear ratio of your choice
Diff Girdle
New bearings and seals

96dreamer

Established Member
i pulled a 31 spline carrier out of an explorer at the junkyard for a cheaper altenative to buying an 03 cobra unit.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
For the more hardcore guys in mind here is my setup

31 spline Detroit Locker
4.56's (or whatever gear you want)
31 spline Mosers
Diff Cover
Welded axle tubes

Probably over 400 6800rpm dumps on slicks. That locker is probably the best insurance I've ever bought.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
I was also going to suggest welding the tubes (inexpensive) and a locker. For the power you want to make that's pretty "bulletproof". 31 spline axles gear bearings and a nice looking cover (I mean girdle...ha).

No need to get too fancy at this point with 35 spline, 9 inch ends, bracing, billet caps, etc.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
For the more hardcore guys in mind here is my setup

31 spline Detroit Locker
4.56's (or whatever gear you want)
31 spline Mosers
Diff Cover
Welded axle tubes

Probably over 400 6800rpm dumps on slicks. That locker is probably the best insurance I've ever bought.[/QUOTE

Is it the Detroit locker or the trutrac?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Also I noticed various places sell the battle box reinforcement plates, are they needed?

In my opinion no. All you need is have a good welder put a bead all the way around the upper and lower factory boxes. That's what I did and I check it every season and no signs of the boxes coming apart.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
In my opinion no. All you need is have a good welder put a bead all the way around the upper and lower factory boxes. That's what I did and I check it every season and no signs of the boxes coming apart.

I can weld my ass off so ill definitely do that and the tubes thanks for the help bud :-D

95PGTTech

Established Member
For the cost of the wild rides reinforcements it was worth the time saved. bolted in and welded. If you are a good welder, definitely see if you can rent the alignment jig and weld your own tubes. Look up some DIYs on adding scrap DOM tubing to brace the rear as well. Really cheap insurance if you can handle the labor/welding aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread