Part-Time employment (LEOs Only)

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
There is an officer at my agency who is requesting to obtain part-time employment with an adjoining agency, as a sworn LEO.

I am soliciting for informal input from my fellow LEOs on this board in regards to any pitfalls/conflicts of interest this could potentially create, before I finalize my decision on the matter.

Thanks

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
At one point early in my career I worked as a paid reserve officer for a neighboring agency. Eventually, my chief encouraged me to give up the part-time gig.

CSD

Banned
One pitfall is if your department has a large scale disaster and you or your supervisor need to call in officers, but his/her current responsibility is to that other department.

I have a part time job to supplement my income, but not with another PD. I can easily leave my other job if my department needs me.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
One pitfall is if your department has a large scale disaster and you or your supervisor need to call in officers, but his/her current responsibility is to that other department.

I have a part time job to supplement my income, but not with another PD. I can easily leave my other job if my department needs me.

This! One must also consider actions of the officer while off duty. Under which department is he carrying off duty? If he is faced with a situation where he acts upon a crime...which department is he acting under? If things go south and a lawsuit is brought by a citizen during the encounter..which department backs him and provides the defense?

You might also consider the additional time he may have to take off due to court appearances, training, etc..for the other dept. While he would be required to attend such it would certainly effect his full time job. IMHO your part time shouldn't effect your full time. In any way.

Our Chief has denied all who asked to carry two badges. Our policy now states that no officer will have dual commission while in "probationary status" of employment. (first year)

One has been grandfathered in and still holds two as he has been around before these changes were put into effect.

And lastly...if he wants another job you aren't working him hard enough. :lol1:

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
in this neck of the woods, there are no "part time paid" officers. either full time, or non paid reserve status. reserves can work as much as they want directly for the department at no pay, or any off duty employment for paid by the company they worked for.

mustanginky

Established Member
i can see several problems with doing so. they have already been listed though. i believe it is unlawful in kentucky to carry two badges with different agencies. why i haven't joined the sheriff reserves in addition to being a parole officer, i'm not allowed to.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I appreciate all the responses everyone. I already knew of some of the negatives and realized some more after reading your responses.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread