PART III : 03 Cobra vs 03 Z06 (JLP CAI installed)

GIJOEBRUIN

Established Member
Finally got the JLP CAI intake in. The kit comes with two hoses that connect to the holes next to the fog lights, and routes the air right to the airbox from two sides, one from the fender, and the other from routes from the engine side.

We took one of the hoses just for kicks and stuck one side outside facing forward, and the other end was inside the car. A lot of air moves through these hoses!! You can only imagine having two direct air to the filter.

Tonight I got a chance to race the Z06 once again with the Xpipe, catback, predator performance tune, and JLP airbox.

First race was a roll in 1st, and this time I have no traction. On a cold night there is no traction in 1st.

2nd run was on the freeway, in 2nd, we both are about 3K RPMs, and punch it, pretty even until I hit 3rd I start pulling, and in 4th I start to pull pretty hard!!

The CAI finally gave me the edge. :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the pulleys!!

Joseph

Lthl Venom 03

give me more boost!
Established Member
nice! i've heard the holes next to the fog lights are channelled to cool the brakes? do u know if this is true or what their original purpose was?

GIJOEBRUIN

Established Member
We had the car on ramps, and looked down the holes, and if the holes are made to cool the brakes, the air is not channeled any where close to the brakes. Take a look for yourself.

Joseph

Friendchicken

you need the brake duct kit... they are openings for brake cooling system tho... not ram air (although they are great for that also)

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by GIJOEBRUIN
Finally got the JLP CAI intake in. The kit comes with two hoses that connect to the holes next to the fog lights, and routes the air right to the airbox from two sides, one from the fender, and the other from routes from the engine side.

We took one of the hoses just for kicks and stuck one side outside facing forward, and the other end was inside the car. A lot of air moves through these hoses!! You can only imagine having two direct air to the filter.

Tonight I got a chance to race the Z06 once again with the Xpipe, catback, predator performance tune, and JLP airbox.

First race was a roll in 1st, and this time I have no traction. On a cold night there is no traction in 1st.

2nd run was on the freeway, in 2nd, we both are about 3K RPMs, and punch it, pretty even until I hit 3rd I start pulling, and in 4th I start to pull pretty hard!!

The CAI finally gave me the edge. :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the pulleys!!

Joseph

Got any pictures of this contraption?? It sounds interesting!

98gt281

Established Member
Damn, I would not think such a small mod would make such a big difference, nice kill, get that pulley on there!

jguerrero

Established Member
Does anyone know where I can order the JLP raim air kit, I have bben searching for it without any sucess.

GIJOEBRUIN

Established Member
Last edited:

jguerrero

Established Member
Vindication,

I pulled over to the gas station to fill up, and we did the runs right after.

You can get the JLP filter here:

http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/home.asp

I'll take pictures of the setup, it seems like a lot people want to see what the kit looks like exactly.

Here are pictures of the kits, although it does not show the 2nd hose that connects to the right side of the box.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36116&highlight=JLP+CAI

Joseph

Thanks for the link, i was searching for 'JLP' website, not the JohnnyL .....com.

So currently, I have only a drop in K&N with the silencer removed, pulley+chip, exhaust, etc.

Do you think I will see a noticable improvement in hp and top end with this, or will I not notice any difference over what I currently have. I like the idea of the system and it seems like it will be effective.

jguerrero

Established Member
Vindication,

I pulled over to the gas station to fill up, and we did the runs right after.

You can get the JLP filter here:

http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/home.asp

I'll take pictures of the setup, it seems like a lot people want to see what the kit looks like exactly.

Here are pictures of the kits, although it does not show the 2nd hose that connects to the right side of the box.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36116&highlight=JLP+CAI

Joseph

Thanks for the link, i was searching for 'JLP' website, not the JohnnyL .....com.

So currently, I have only a drop in K&N with the silencer removed, pulley+chip, exhaust, etc.

Do you think I will see a noticable improvement in hp and top end with this, or will I not notice any difference over what I currently have. I like the idea of the system and it seems like it will be effective.

SupraKal

Established Member
I am the owner of the Z06. The Cobra is definately making more power now. There is a bit of pause in the power between shifts on the Cobra due to the bypass valveI believe and in previous races while our cars are pretty equal I could make ground on him because of this. However, now he makes enough power to catch back up on that lost ground. Cars seem pretty even in 2nd and 3rd but on 4th he pulls me considerably. A lot has to do with the fact that once you get to higher speeds weight is not as much of an issue as horsepower vs wind resistance. Since the Cobra makes substantially more power its obvious who would be the ultimate victor on the top end.

As far as the JLP kit goes. Since I put this setup in with Joe I can say that the kit is really thrown together but functional. The welding and construction of the air box is very so so and we had to use high temp silicone to seal the neck of the maf adapator so that it wouldn't leak air. Also this kit comes with no instructions. The Filter provided is a very nice quality S&B dual cone unit with a velocity stack built in however I do not feel it is the optimal size for the box provided. I am postaive I can squeeze in a 1" bigger Filter and possibly 2" if I were to cut down on the rubber neck of the filter. If you buy this kit I would see if you can get it without a filter and then buy your own S&B filter that is the optimal size. When Joe and I get around to it we will try to shoe horn the biggest filter possible into the air box and report it. By the way the fitment of the mesh is also really funky on the box tho all in all it does look pretty good in the engine bay. Also the box does not have anyway to anchor its self into the engine bay tho it does sit pretty snug inside. All in all for $250 shipped I guess its an okay deal. I definately think that it makes the most sense of all the others in the end and probably the most power.

Users who are viewing this thread