Part # for a 96 cobra serpintine belt?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
schef said:
Anyone know what the part number is for the serpintine belt for a 96 cobra? TIA

Ford says the original number was F5AZ 8620 AA. The Motorcraft replacement is a JK6 982B. They say it was updated to a F7AZ 8620 AA and the updated Motorcraft replacement is JK6 982C. It is a 98.2" belt. FWIW - the F5AZ belt listed is the same as used on the 4.6 Crown Vic in 95/96, and carried over to the 96 Cobra application.

R

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Get a GATES belt. They are the best belts in the business. NAPA replacements are also made by Gates.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
Get a GATES belt. They are the best belts in the business. NAPA replacements are also made by Gates.

I am not sure, but I think Gates is the vendor/supplier for Ford's serpentine belts and possibly their hoses also. I do know that Gates provided the serpentine belt for the 95 Cobra R 5.8L application and has an F5Z part number and Motorcraft ink stamped on it. Most likely, when you buy an original Motorcraft you are buying a Gates, the only difference, if there is a difference is that the Gates belt is manufactured to "Gates specs.", the Motorcraft/Ford belt is manufactured to "Ford specs." They might be the same specs, but not all belts are. Some stretch, some twist.............

R

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I have a set of Steeda pullys coming and tried the search for belt info. Do I need a longer belt or will the stocker do?

uofipilot

Established Member
I just got the NAPA belt (because the d-bag that sold me the car had everything all nice and warmed up when i went to look at it. When I started it cold the day after I bought it the car sounded like it was powered by 1000 mice in squeaky wheels). It works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread