Parking Ticket

31Charlie

My freakin car is crushed
Established Member
I got a parking ticket at college for not having my parking pass displayed. The truth is I don't have one. I had one all last semester but never had it displayed and no one ever said anything. Im in a bind money wise so I didnt buy one yet, I tried justifing it because I bought one a few semester ago that I never got to use because my national guard unit got activated and I couldn't get the money back for it.

The thing that irks me is it wasnt writen by a peace officer, the campus security wrote it. I didn't know a school could fine its students. For those of you who don't know tution was just raised in CA to help the debt left behind by a certin man. I understand that, but then the president of the college (its a community college not a university) gets a gaint pay raise and hands out over $120,000 of bonuses to her "ciricle" of administrators and counslers while teachers get the shaft.

Ok so that got kind of off topic. But Im kinda upset.

31C

jshen

Established Member
Sorry but..

Yes they can. Either through a legislative act giving them the authority to write parking tickets..or if solely a totally private college in which case you signed something upon enrollment allowing them to do that [ Failure to pay = No college credits or not allowing re-enrollment...not forwarding credits..etc.]

A suggestion..most/all colleges have tribunals to oversee parking issues..I would consider going before them or court..and explain your case as a "soldier trying to get education..being activated...no money.." "Invite" a member of the press/media to come as well. This is patriotic times....Trust me...no college would want the news media to know that soldiers..trying to get education...little money...gets hit with parking ticket because you can't afford sticker..........That is publicity of the worst kind for them...and helpful to your case!

California? great Governor...I don't think he'd like hearing about this on the news......and I think the media could be your best source of help....

Good luck..

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I wouldn't even bother going the media route - why make a mountain out of a molehill?
Although you *may* appeal the ticket, as mentioned above in a tribunal if one exists, you don't have a leg to stand on. You essentially parked in a lot designated for permit-holders only.

And yes, college security/parking personnel can issue parking tickets - like jshen stated above.

It was a matter of time before you got caught without a having the proper parking credentials. So you got busted. No big deal, life goes on, just pay the fine & be done with it. I even paid a parking ticket or two while at college, don't sweat it. LOL

My .02

31Charlie

My freakin car is crushed
Established Member
Im with you guys, I kinda figured the security could, I always just hoped the first time would be a warning. Just never really thought about it before. And I dont think Im going to fight it, Ill just pay it. It just seems like right when I am about to make money instead of lose it stuff keeps coming up. (stupid tires).

Now if it was for more then 25 bucks I might get upset, but seeing as it is one of those cases where I am in the wrong, there isnt really much point in trying to bring up past or "extrenuating circumstances (sp?)" just to get out of it (ie pass the blame).

But if anyone ask what lead me down the road as a drug dealer, just tell them it was to pay for a parking ticket (just kidding, of course, Id go back to the army before Id commit a crime).

I mostly just posted here to vent about the bad point of my day (even though I only have myself to blame) as you can see by me going off topic about our college staff.

31C

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I never bought one in my 2nd semester of college, and between the different campus security gaurds and the fact I had two different vehicles ( a bronco II and a 95 f-150) I only got that maximum amount of warnings. They wrote a ticket on a buddy of mines car but he had a temporary tag and nothing became of it. Good Luck, I know money is tight in college, and this doesn't help much.

jshen

Established Member
Hell! From the Old School

I mentioned media above for a reason. In my humble opinion, soldiers don't get the credit they deserve! Damn! We are in a state of war and it "hacks" me when soldiers cannot afford government bills...like parking stickers.

I remember, I got hacked paying parking stickers at GA Tech....but during the time my friends we're giving their all in Viet Nam...I regret I my selfish feelings when I thing of those...who never came home....

Media attentin is not a bad thing...but to me a last thing. In this day, if you want change..or attention to something that is wrong....the media is your best bet...I know....I know...:(

jshen

Established Member
Hell! From the Old School

I mentioned media above for a reason. In my humble opinion, soldiers don't get the credit they deserve! Damn! We are in a state of war and it "hacks" me when soldiers cannot afford government bills...like parking stickers.

I remember, I got hacked paying parking stickers at GA Tech....but during the time my friends we're giving their all in Viet Nam...I regret I my selfish feelings when I thing of those...who never came home....

Media attentin is not a bad thing...but to me a last thing. In this day, if you want change..or attention to something that is wrong....the media is your best bet...I know....I know...:(

Users who are viewing this thread