Parking Lamp as DRL

mstangtony

Established Member
Guys,

I have been looking all over SVTP, but Only thing I found was for Fog Lamps, not Driving Lamps. I have Switchbacks and Wanted to Have themn on when I Turn The Key. Has anyone Seen anything like this on the Cobras, and is there a write up?

mstangtony

Established Member
To add, I Meant to say Side Markers (I call them parking Lights. I guess that is not the right term)

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can't say I've ever seen a write up for that. I'd use a relay tapped into the circuit that powers the lights. Have it connected to a key on source so when you turn on the key they turn on.

mstangtony

Established Member
slo984now - Thanks. Yeah i guess that would be an idea. my only concern would be, if i do that, what happenes when I turn the light switch to on, will they stay on and have no issues, or would the relay to the side markers pop a fuse (or something) since there would be two sources of power going to the side markers when i turn them on (meaning when i pull the light switch for the Fog Lights as well) If that makes sense.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you want them on all the time I would separate them from the light switch. Maybe run the power straight from the battery through the relay to the lights. Then they'll be on with the headlights at night. I'm sure you could get intricate as far as multiple relays turning off and on depending on the position of the light switch. But I'd have to sit down and map that one out personally.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'd think you would need to run a new circuit and splice it into the bulbs for this purpose. The reason I say is because I believe the park lights (both front and back) and the dash lighting are all on the same circuit. So getting power to it will probably be he same as pulling out the light switch to the first stop.

I say this only because several people have had issues by putting the wrong LED bulbs in the tail lights and then have all kinds of issues with popping fuses for the park/dash lights when the brake lights light up.

Using the Fogs as DRLs works because the fog lights are on their own circuit with nothing else.

mstangtony

Established Member
If you want them on all the time I would separate them from the light switch. Maybe run the power straight from the battery through the relay to the lights. Then they'll be on with the headlights at night. I'm sure you could get intricate as far as multiple relays turning off and on depending on the position of the light switch. But I'd have to sit down and map that one out personally.

Thanks! I have been pondering this whole weekend and I believe your right. I will have to make it its own circuit. So I will have to play around and figure out where to start. I was thinking of using a relay, instead of using a switch, just run it straight to a Fuse that turns it on ACC. I think I may purchase new sets of sockets, instead of cutting the wiring on the current belt sockets..

mstangtony

Established Member
I'd think you would need to run a new circuit and splice it into the bulbs for this purpose. The reason I say is because I believe the park lights (both front and back) and the dash lighting are all on the same circuit. So getting power to it will probably be he same as pulling out the light switch to the first stop.

I say this only because several people have had issues by putting the wrong LED bulbs in the tail lights and then have all kinds of issues with popping fuses for the park/dash lights when the brake lights light up.

Using the Fogs as DRLs works because the fog lights are on their own circuit with nothing else.

I think your right. Im going to just run a new circuit.. I figured someone by now would have a diagram how to do it with using the light switch for the food and headlights. but no big.

Users who are viewing this thread