Parking Brake on IRS swap

BraMas

Established Member
For those of you that have swapped an IRS into your cars how did you guys route the Parking brake cable? The only way I see to have it routed and functional puts the cable on top of the half-shaft. I have it Zip tied away from them but I don't like having my car jerry rigged

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I've got a '96 and I routed it the same way as the 99-04 cobras. It works just fine, have no problems with it. Theres a circular guide on the bottom part of the rear spindle. The cable goes through there and into the brake cable assembly. Idk if thats what you were asking...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
I've got a '96 and I routed it the same way as the 99-04 cobras. It works just fine, have no problems with it. Theres a circular guide on the bottom part of the rear spindle. The cable goes through there and into the brake cable assembly. Idk if thats what you were asking...

thats how ive seen all of them. it has a "guide" that bolts to the lower A arm area, and shoots it to the caliper

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
thats how ive seen all of them. it has a "guide" that bolts to the lower A arm area, and shoots it to the caliper

There is another guide other then this one that you are talking about. Its a part of the spindle itself and it runs the cable under the halfshaft and keeps it in place.

BraMas

Established Member
I tried running it there but it felt like it wasn't made to go there. I wasn't sure if the cable on 99-04 Cobra's was different? or maybe I didn't try hard enough

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I tried running it there but it felt like it wasn't made to go there. I wasn't sure if the cable on 99-04 Cobra's was different? or maybe I didn't try hard enough

If you look at the cable, there is what seems to be like a secondary rubber sleeve around the cable. It starts about 4" before the end of the cable. You can actually slide it back enough to actually give you that extra room to slip the cable through the spindle loop. The cable actually gets kind of stuck because of this rubber sleeve.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
I believe the rear cables are different for the IRS cars. They have diff part numbers. I ordered new IRS cables this week. I will let you know what the differences are when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread