parking brake cable?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ok, im sitting hear looking at rear calipers and the damn parking brake cable goes right over the lower caliper bolt. Thats a damn tight little spring on the parking break so I dont think I want to undue the small bolt holding it and have to try and compress sring to get bolt back in. Cable has a large head on it and it looks as if it just slides out, I just cant seem to get enough slack to do it though, anyone have any pointers?

hmwave

Established Member
What are you trying to do?

If replace the rear pads, remove the bolt that secures the brake cable to the control arm casting. I had to do that to change out the rear pads.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I found that to to remove the cable from the caliper all that is required is to push or pry against the arm on the caliper that holds the head of the cable. You push the arm back towards the cable mounting and the cable will then slide out of the arm. You can then take the cable off of the caliper.
This procedure would cause the same action to occur at the caliper that applying the parking brake would without the cable moving.
The problem with doing that is that you will probably have to screw the piston back into the caliper before the caliper will slide back over the rotor. You need a special tool for that to make it easy.
From what I have read here and other places, you do not want to dislodge that spring. It is a pain to reinstall.

Dana

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Well, just an update, there is a ratcheting mechanism under the console storage area that keeps tension on the cable when the E-brake is released and this is what makes it so hard to get slack enough to remove the cable from calipers. You can pull the storage box in console to access it and releive the tension for easy removal of the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread