Parking Brake Cable Tension Release

grandpa

Established Member
Finally found a way to release the Parking Brake Cable tension on my 03 Cobra.

Per the service manual:

Parking Brake Cable Tension Release

CAUTION: If any component in the parking brake system requires repair or if the rear axle housing (4010) is removed, the cable tension must be released.
Place the parking brake control (2780) in the released position.
Remove the console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
With an assistant inside the vehicle, raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Pull the parking brake cable and equalizer rearward.
Insert a steel pin through holes in the lever to the ratchet wheel.
CAUTION: Do not remove the steel pin until the parking brake cable and equalizer/rear cable and conduits are connected to the parking brake control. Pin removal releases the tension in the ratchet wheel causing the spring to unwind and release tension.

Well these instructions didn't work for me!
First, I couldn't raise the parking brake handle far enough to allow removal of the console. But I was able to reach in through the back of the console and remove the small screw that holds the PAWL locking plate, and remove that small plate. Then I was able to push the PAWL forward off the ratchet wheel, which now allows a helper to pull back on the parking brake equalizer far enough to allow the insertion of a steel pin through the holes in the lever, blocking the ratchet wheel from reapplying cable tension. Now you have plenty of slack to easily remove the cables from the rear calipers. At this point I was also able to easily raise the parking brake handle to an almost straight up position, which NOW facilitates removal of the center console. (For my situation, I no longer needed to remove the entire center console).

Hope this helps someone.

In the picture below, the "locking bracket or plate" was removed to allow the cable tension to be released. I placed it back in it's approximate position just so you could see it.
The "pawl" is OFF the ratcheting teeth, and a "rig pin" has been installed to prevent the wheel from unwinding (while the cables are disconnected).

Picture5_zpscddb0771.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread