Parking a manual on an incline...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestoyz

Established Member
I parked in 3rd and found my car rolling before I got out. Seems not to do it in first, but I'm afraid to leave my car without the ebrake
Does this have to the hydraulic clutch loosing pressure?

scott_0

Established Member
explain why youre not using the parking brake? afterall thats what its there for......

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
I parked in 3rd and found my car rolling before I got out. Seems not to do it in first, but I'm afraid to leave my car without the ebrake
Does this have to the hydraulic clutch loosing pressure?

Did you still have the clutch depressed? :lol1:

scott_0

Established Member
lol not to flame, but Im thinking someone checked the wrong transmission box when they ordered, should have been 6AT......I keed I keed

mikestoyz

Established Member
Lol..
I was out of the car when I saw it. Slow roll. I've owned several manuals....never had this. Hell, I've put it in 5th before to loosen a crank pulley and hold the engine in place. I've never used my emergency brake but for emergency 180s:rockon:

87hatchy

Established Member
What? If the clutch can hold 390 ft lbs of torque, it should stop a car from rolling on a sloped driveway

More like "What?" to you. putting it in gear is the BACKUP in case the emergency brake aka PARKING brake fails. Its called a parking brake because you are supposed to use it when you park your car. What on earth did you possibly think it was there for? You may have always put all of your cars in gear in the past but that is just unnecessary stress on the transmission.

mikestoyz

Established Member
More like "What?" to you. putting it in gear is the BACKUP in case the emergency brake aka PARKING brake fails. Its called a parking brake because you are supposed to use it when you park your car. What on earth did you possibly think it was there for? You may have always put all of your cars in gear in the past but that is just unnecessary stress on the transmission.

Lol, stress? From parking? It's cool guys, I'll use wheel chocks

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I rarely ever set the emergency brake, unless the car is on an incline. I really don't think you are placing any extra stress on the clutch and transmission to leave it in gear.

Mike

87hatchy

Established Member
Lol, stress? From parking? It's cool guys, I'll use wheel chocks

Ya you know. The car weighs over 3500 lbs. Then there is this thing called gravity that usually pulls the car downhill when it is on an incline. The only thing holding the 3500+lbs from rolling down the hill is the single gear that it is in.

Not saying the transmission cannot handle it because it certainly can, however you don't have to do that to your transmission because your car does in fact have this lever that you pull upwards when the car is parked and that will stop it from rolling

kingnut

Established Member
I rarely ever set the emergency brake, unless the car is on an incline. I really don't think you are placing any extra stress on the clutch and transmission to leave it in gear.

Mike

lolza. threads lately have been very interesting. also mike this isnt 1992 message boards. you dont have to sign your name. we can see your user name, avy, title, and sig when you post.

kingnut

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread