Parking 03 Cobra for Winter-need econo car recommendations

03CobraVertGrey

Screamin Banshee
Established Member
Ok, it has been a nice summer in the Cobra Vert but here in WA the rain has started to fall again and I will not drive the Cobra in the rain.

Can anyone help me with some good recommendations for an economy car?

Here is what I have in mind. . . a four door, 4 or 6 cyl., manual, and reliable. No more than 10 years old.

I am willing to spend $4,000 - $5,000 for this car to get around town for the winter. I don't commute since I work from home. I realize that this car will have more than $100K miles on it and be AT LEAST 6 or 7 years old.

I have heard good things about Honda Accords and Civics but don't know which model to get (LX, DX, etc). Toyota's Corolla's & Camry's are also supposed to be reliable according to Consumer Reports.

I would really appreciate advice from those that have actually owned a reliable import. Thanks in advance!

john_o

New SHO Poster
Established Member
Well, I'm selling my 1997 Taurus SHO for $4K. But it's a V8 (still gets 23mpg per tank, up to 27 highway), not foreign, and it's an auto...

Meets your criteria otherwise. I guess it's worth a shot... :shrug:

Otherwise, I'd recommend cars like you said, a camry, accord, etc...those last forever

But hey, it'll keep you in the Ford Performance family AND get you through winter!! :thumbsup: lol

~John

Last edited:

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
i bought a 1988 tempo GL auto 4cyl for 800 bucks CDN. runs perfectly, great on gas, starts up perfectly everytime, no problems whatsoever.

PC Doc

Established Member
blk89SC said:
i bought a 1988 tempo GL auto 4cyl for 800 bucks CDN. runs perfectly, great on gas, starts up perfectly everytime, no problems whatsoever.

I wasn't going to post in this thread since it wasn't an import but since this post was made I thought I would throw in that my brother-in-law just bought a Tempo with 140k on it for $50. All it needed was a battery and he has been driving it around for a couple of months now. No problems at all. It needs some paint but for the price you can't beat it. Good luck with your search.

03CobraVertGrey

Screamin Banshee
Established Member
Thanks guys for all your posts. I found a nice Honda Civic 5sp w/ 105K, new tires, well maintained for $4800. I think it will be a good reliable car while the Cobra is in the garage waiting for nice weather.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread