Park Break Problems

NC Mystic

Established Member
just got a rebuilt 89 coupe in white, loving it. only problem i'm having is the park break likes to stay on sometimes, sometimes it'll come on when i haven't pulled it up in days which really confuses the hell out of me. what do you guys think?

thinking about just getting rid of it all together? has anyone done this or anyone have any comments on it? Thanks all, i've been away from the community for a good while now and it's nice to be back and excited about it.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Sounds like it's out of adjustment. I wouldnt get rid of the park break, but that's just my opinion.

NC Mystic

Established Member
i also i really want to know how to manually disengage the park break without using the handle. i think possibly the handle is not attached properly, there is a bronze looking half disc behind the handle with gear teeth along the top edge of it, do i need to rotate that forward to unlock the break? if now how do i unlock it?

sometimes it comes on in parking lots while i'm out and i am not able to disengage it with the handle, something has come loose possibly. but until i am able to fix or replace it i need to to be able to at least unlock it so i don't get stuck out places or have to drive with it on and scrubbing slightly. so how do i do this?

i can take pictures or a video if that would help.

Thanks

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
In order to work on the park brake handle you will have to take the center console out of the car. from there you can get to the gold gear disc you are seeing.

NC Mystic

Established Member
there's no rubber cover on mine, just the open slot so it's pretty much right there.

is rotating that forward what will cause the break to release? or is it something else in the mechanism?

NC Mystic

Established Member
also the car was origionally a v6 car i believe, now a 302. don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
What year is it? It was probly a 2.3. What is the weight of the car too, I was just checking my coupe and it was an even 3k lbs

NC Mystic

Established Member
it's a 1989, should have specified. it was told it was a 6 cylinder car but it could have been a 2.3 i'm not positive. also have not had the car on a scale so unsure of weight, got it about a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread