Panic mode - emission monitors not resetting - tune related??

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
thats incorrect, with the correct tools anyone can read it out and see the tune no problem

OP, if it falls through with your guy in NH give me a shout and I'll get you situated no problem

if you got in touch with the guy in FL that originally tuned it, he should be able to turn all the emissions stuff on for little to nothing, its as simple as clicking the mouse and hitting a few key strokes

Thanks man! I definitely will get in touch if NH guy doesn't work out.

I know the FL tuner was initially "Fastlane Motorsports" and then the seller had part-throttle issues so he took it to Tony Gonyon at Tuners Inc. in Jacksonville and Tony did exactly what you said, he went in there and just made a few quick changes.

Thanks again. It's just a huge relief to hear someone say they can actually fix this. I can understand it being a problem if I have no cats or other crazy stuff, but all emission equipment is on my car. Granted, my cats are "hi-flow", but I would put stockers back on if necessary.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I suspect the 02's were turned off because the " high flow " cats threw codes.
( my 11 was like that with Kooks high flow cats )
Had Kooks " green " cats installed & no codes & no inspection issues. ( N.J. )

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
This morning I got the FORscan software up and running on my laptop with the new Bluetooth adapter I got a couple days ago, and checking for codes, I found that I had the dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes stored in the PCM as intermittent faults, and not setting the check engine light.

Now, a couple months ago I had some nasty exhaust leaks at the cat-conv/H-pipe connections, and I wonder if that's what set those codes, but after all the tune reloads I've done since those repairs, I would've thought that those codes would've been erased a long time ago.
So there might still be an issue with the cats or with something causing those codes.

I reset the PCM and its codes, and this evening I took it out for about an hour, attempting the drive cycle mentioned in the link above.
However, that cycle seems somewhat outdated for this car, since the misfire monitor sets within a minute of driving the car, the EGR monitor sets pretty quickly if I just cruise at a steady speed for a few minutes, and even the EVAP monitor sets while crusing at a steady speed.
It has me doing all kinds of crap that's apparently not necessary to set those monitors.
But I tried it, including about 20 miles of city/stop-and-go driving.
And came home frustrated again, with the catalyst and all 4 sensors still reading Incomplete.

I did a few screenshots of the FORscan Mode6 data after I shut it off, some of the "not ready" displays might be cuz the engine isn't running, I think

When I re-checked for codes, none were found.
So at least the P0420/P0430 might be gone, and hopefully just related to those leaks that have been mostly addressed since they showed up.

These are the screenshots I mentioned, if any of you reading this thread have any words of wisdom about this, please share, thanks.

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_001.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_002.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_003.jpg

The "tests performed" log:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_tests_log.jpg

The final DTC reading:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_final_DTC_read.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
This morning I got the FORscan software up and running on my laptop with the new Bluetooth adapter I got a couple days ago, and checking for codes, I found that I had the dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes stored in the PCM as intermittent faults, and not setting the check engine light.

Now, a couple months ago I had some nasty exhaust leaks at the cat-conv/H-pipe connections, and I wonder if that's what set those codes, but after all the tune reloads I've done since those repairs, I would've thought that those codes would've been erased a long time ago.
So there might still be an issue with the cats or with something causing those codes.

I reset the PCM and its codes, and this evening I took it out for about an hour, attempting the drive cycle mentioned in the link above.
However, that cycle seems somewhat outdated for this car, since the misfire monitor sets within a minute of driving the car, the EGR monitor sets pretty quickly if I just cruise at a steady speed for a few minutes, and even the EVAP monitor sets while crusing at a steady speed.
It has me doing all kinds of crap that's apparently not necessary to set those monitors.
But I tried it, including about 20 miles of city/stop-and-go driving.
And came home frustrated again, with the catalyst and all 4 sensors still reading Incomplete.

I did a few screenshots of the FORscan Mode6 data after I shut it off, some of the "not ready" displays might be cuz the engine isn't running, I think

When I re-checked for codes, none were found.
So at least the P0420/P0430 might be gone, and hopefully just related to those leaks that have been mostly addressed since they showed up.

These are the screenshots I mentioned, if any of you reading this thread have any words of wisdom about this, please share, thanks.

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_001.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_002.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_003.jpg

The "tests performed" log:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_tests_log.jpg

The final DTC reading:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_final_DTC_read.jpg

Well, I see you're in NH. Have you seen Pete at Performance Dyno about this? He's supposed to be "the man" in New England area for Mustang tuning. My appt is in one week, July 18.

Good luck with your issue!

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Well, I see you're in NH. Have you seen Pete at Performance Dyno about this? He's supposed to be "the man" in New England area for Mustang tuning. My appt is in one week, July 18.

Good luck with your issue!

Thanks and yeah, Performance Dyno is my tuner currently.
I've been dealing mostly with Josh, Pete's partner, but I do know Pete very well, he tuned my car before I went the supercharged route.
Sometimes I wish I stopped there with the engine mods.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Finally! Got the damn sticker today. The whole process felt like a big, expensive, troublesome waste of time. But at least I am fully legal now. I wonder what my states' next extortion scheme will be?
InspectionSticker.jpg

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Finally! Got the damn sticker today. The whole process felt like a big, expensive, troublesome waste of time. But at least I am fully legal now. I wonder what my states' next extortion scheme will be?
InspectionSticker.jpg

Congrats!
What did Pete say about the emission readiness issue?
I'm still having issues with my '13, O2 sensors still not going ready

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm in for answers too. He clearly knows his stuff on these monitors. Most places I've found don't understand it b/c they can't get it right. I've seen this come up over and over with cars that have cats on them even

RLB01

Established Member
I feel your pain living in CA. I keep two tunes in my SCT, one to go fast an the other to pass smog. I run an off road pipe so at smog time the cats go on and I load the smog tune then reverse the process after passing. Check your owners manual it tells you how to check if the sensors are set without a tool.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Congrats!
What did Pete say about the emission readiness issue?
I'm still having issues with my '13, O2 sensors still not going ready.

Well, Pete solved that issue very quickly on mine by turning on all the monitors, which had been off in the tune (so Step 1: make damn SURE yours are turned on in the tune). My car has Pypes hi-flow cats and all the O2 sensors are in place. After turning monitors on, they need a little drive cycling, took me about 40 miles to get everything into "ready" status after I got home.

Pete's a sharp guy. He said he used to race a lot (but quit) and has been tuning for something like 15 years, but about 10 years ago he noticed what a huge problem this emissions bullshit was becoming, so he started specializing in that area. Gotta give him credit... he identified a prime market and zoned in on it. Plus, he's a full-time electrician, does his wiring jobs until about 3pm, then does one car a day at his dyno. A real go-getter.........

I'm in for answers too. He clearly knows his stuff on these monitors. Most places I've found don't understand it b/c they can't get it right. I've seen this come up over and over with cars that have cats on them even

Same answer as Gabe above.............

I feel your pain living in CA. I keep two tunes in my SCT, one to go fast an the other to pass smog. I run an off road pipe so at smog time the cats go on and I load the smog tune then reverse the process after passing. Check your owners manual it tells you how to check if the sensors are set without a tool.

Great post! Yes, regarding monitor status, I had discovered that little trick somewhere about watching the CEL (check engine light) after turning key on. But I have a pretty good OBDII program called "AutoEnginuity" on my laptop and it shows me if each individual monitor is ready or not.

And yeah, just like you, I now have two tunes on my SCT X4, one for 'emissions' and one for 'max power', hahahahaaa

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I suspect the 02's were turned off because the " high flow " cats threw codes.
( my 11 was like that with Kooks high flow cats )
Had Kooks " green " cats installed & no codes & no inspection issues. ( N.J. )
!!!!
Curious why you can't make " max power " and pass inspection ??

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Well, Pete solved that issue very quickly on mine by turning on all the monitors, which had been off in the tune (so Step 1: make damn SURE yours are turned on in the tune). My car has Pypes hi-flow cats and all the O2 sensors are in place. After turning monitors on, they need a little drive cycling, took me about 40 miles to get everything into "ready" status after I got home.

Pete's a sharp guy. He said he used to race a lot (but quit) and has been tuning for something like 15 years, but about 10 years ago he noticed what a huge problem this emissions bullshit was becoming, so he started specializing in that area. Gotta give him credit... he identified a prime market and zoned in on it. Plus, he's a full-time electrician, does his wiring jobs until about 3pm, then does one car a day at his dyno. A real go-getter.........

Yes, I know Pete very well, even had his electrical company re-wire most of my house before we moved in.
His expertise is definitely in 2V and 3V engines, and in the 4.6/5.4/5.8 4V stuff.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Curious why you can't make " max power " and pass inspection ??

Pete offered to simply take my existing tune and turn on the monitors, which likely would have passed, but I figured since I was there I would have him do a whole new tune, just in case.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Pete offered to simply take my existing tune and turn on the monitors, which likely would have passed, but I figured since I was there I would have him do a whole new tune, just in case.
That's awesome. Congrats.
Did you have the car on the dyno after the new tune?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
That's awesome. Congrats.
Did you have the car on the dyno after the new tune?

Thanks...... Yeah, car was dyno'd with 'emissions' tune at 540rwhp. it was 95 degrees in his shop, plus he kept the tune relatively conservative. The logic was that I already have a 'max power' tune, and that made perfect sense. So I have two tunes now on my new SCT X4.

I'm honestly now contemplating buying HPTuner VMC package so that I can adjust a few things myself, just to keep things interesting and fun, haha. But main thing is - I got the stupid sticker.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks...... Yeah, car was dyno'd with 'emissions' tune at 540rwhp. it was 95 degrees in his shop, plus he kept the tune relatively conservative. The logic was that I already have a 'max power' tune, and that made perfect sense. So I have two tunes now on my new SCT X4.
I'm honestly now contemplating buying HPTuner VMC package so that I can adjust a few things myself, just to keep things interesting and fun, haha. But main thing is - I got the stupid sticker.
That's awesome man.
Congrats and enjoy.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Well, how's this for an update?

36119699311_bffd18ae2d_o.jpg

My O2'S went ready this afternoon.
This morning I went up to Performance Dyno and Josh did a couple revisions, went for a drive cruising at about 50-55 for about 10 minutes and the catalyst went ready, something that hasn't happened that quick before.
So he adjusted fuel trims a bit to get them closer to zero, did another quick road test, and let me go on my way.
About 5-7 minutes later the catalyst went ready.
I drove home, we take both cars and head up to the weekly cruise night and as I was parking the sensors went ready.
So now I just have the EVAP monitor which I don't really need to have ready for a sticker, but it will probably go ready overnight after the car sits at least 8 hours.

This has now happened with the stock cats I haven't replaced yet, no O2 spacers, the smallest pulley I've installed, the 3.125", and the rest of the combo that had me at 608 rwhp.

Looking forward to my sticker Monday morning! :)

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, how's this for an update?

36119699311_bffd18ae2d_o.jpg

My O2'S went ready this afternoon.
This morning I went up to Performance Dyno and Josh did a couple revisions, went for a drive cruising at about 50-55 for about 10 minutes and the catalyst went ready, something that hasn't happened that quick before.
So he adjusted fuel trims a bit to get them closer to zero, did another quick road test, and let me go on my way.
About 5-7 minutes later the catalyst went ready.
I drove home, we take both cars and head up to the weekly cruise night and as I was parking the sensors went ready.
So now I just have the EVAP monitor which I don't really need to have ready for a sticker, but it will probably go ready overnight after the car sits at least 8 hours.

This has now happened with the stock cats I haven't replaced yet, no O2 spacers, the smallest pulley I've installed, the 3.125", and the rest of the combo that had me at 608 rwhp.

Looking forward to my sticker Monday morning! :)

Yeah, like you, all the other monitors on mine set prior to EVAP. I drove a couple of times, but then it sat for a couple of days, and by time I went to inspection station, the EVAP was ready.

Good luck with yours!

Users who are viewing this thread