Panic Attacks?

badazzar15

Banned
Anybody here get them? The only panic attack I've had since 2004 was on a flight from Germany. Really, really sucked while it lasted (only about 3-4 minutes). Started sweating & hyperventilating, had wash my face with cold water in the lavatory to snap out of it. I'm assuming I had a bite of claustrophobia of some sort. I wouldn't consider myself claustrophobic, but I wigged out in that moment for whatever reason.

I had another severe attack on hallucinogens (7g's worth) back in 2002, woke up in jail not knowing how I got there. No need to go into details, but it's still pretty traumatizing for me to even think about. Worst experience I've ever had in my life, hands down. I even had a few panic attacks just from thinking about it in the following months after the incident while I was completely sober. It was so bad I've been deathly afraid of hard drugs ever since. Stupid decision I made in my life, paid for it dearly.

Anyways, I've been reading about them tonight and it sounds like alot of people get them consistently. Must be a living hell to get them on a regular basis. I wonder if they ever get used to it?

Discuss your experiences

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I have. I actually had a few in the past couples months at night after waking up. Very weird feelings, hard to stay still. I would turn the TV on to try and calm and relax myself. I think it was due to my level of stress. I had to take sleeping pills to make sure I wouldn't wake up because I only get around 4 hrs a sleep a night so losing sleep was no good for the next day.

Defknotzero

Established Member
I get them every once in awhile. Everytime i keep thinking i am dying. It's really ****ed up.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It's a fairly common thing, i think around 7 million Americans get them. (Did some research about them when I had my1st one).

It is a very uncomfortable feeling. And once you have a thought in your head you can't stop thinking about it.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I was having them for a while a couple years ago. Turns out I had real bad heartburn from something I ate but I thought I was dying and it kept going on until the docs ran a couple tests on me and told me the liklihood that I was going to die in the next 10 years was next to none. I've been fine ever since. I know how to identify heartburn now though... I don't get it too often.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
back in my college years I had a panic attack from doing too much adaroll (sp) trying to stay up to study for finals...

I actually called an ambulance cause I thought I was dying... turns out I was just an idiot...

But since then I have gotten anxiety... constantly focusing on my heart beat and thinking that I am going to die... I have been able to almost completely beat it with exercise. I would say thats the best thing because it releaves stress.

I have since been to the doctors for things that I thought were wrong with my heart only to find I am as healthy as a horse...

But anxiety is a funny thing... over time it will manifest itself into other forms that you haven't encountered yet... and you will think something is wrong but its all in your head...

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I used to get them in some situations, i think more a social anxiety than panic attack (maybe the same more or less) cause at the time i was in a new job environment, and meetings, gatherings etc and would get REALLY nervous, sweating, etc. started taking the meds and have been off them for a while now and more comfortable in my skin too.

but i guess thats not panic attacks and more anxiety whatever sometimes my heart would really pound tho so i think i got attacks. Xanax smoothed it out :) havent had any in a long time now

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
its a form of an anxiety attack, actually pretty common. we discussed it last class in abnormal psychology.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I get anxiety attacks often and it sucks. I usually wake up after being asleep for an hour and I'm all sweaty, have a hard time breathing, chest pounding, dizzy, etc. I have actually passed out 2 times as well. Not cool.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I had at least two a day for the period of about a year. After therapy and Xanax I've learned to control them. I still get one now and again but they are easier to deal with now. The best thing to do is to stay calm and just ride it out. It will be over with after a few minutes and you'll be fine.

oldmodman

Established Member
Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, cold clammy sweat, I thought I was having a heart attack.

Went to the Doctor. Then to the hospital.

I was having a heart attack. Turned out it was my second. Doctor said don't worry, the third times the charm.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My girlfriend used to get them last year, she's gotten a lot better. Very scary to witness at first when you have no idea what is happening.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
When I was having them I would lay in bed and pull my wife in my arms cuddle with her (ya, ya, ya...) which seemed to make me feel a little better.

I also noticed that when they are about to start, I have to take a shit.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
When I was having them I would lay in bed and pull my wife in my arms cuddle with her (ya, ya, ya...) which seemed to make me feel a little better.

I also noticed that when they are about to start, I have to take a shit.

:shrug::banana:

canibus

Established Member
my ex would get them all the freaking time, it was kinda annoying. Cause no matter what you say, the thought in their mind won't leave. Kinda hard to be her superman, when I couldn't even help her through an anxiety attack.

firebird1999us

Established Member
I wouldn't start taking any of the tv-advertised medications they offer to combat panic attacks or depression...you know the one's that result in thoughts of suicide and bleeding from the ass
facepalm.gif

Users who are viewing this thread