Panhard bar alignment

brandonflood123

Established Member
hello everybody, i lowered my car with eibach pro springs and purchased BMR lower control arms and the ADJ Pan bar, ive adjusted the pan bar about 4-5 times now because it seems as if after driving it for a while it some how shifts back to where the wheels and tires arent centered and it sticks out on one side more then the other. I was curious if anybody knows a better way then just adjusting it and eyeing it. it annoys the crap out of me that it sticks out on one side more then the other. hope somebody can help . just a few pictures. haven't taken any real recently.

LBUveRo.jpg

l5MAdMN.jpg

14yEEBF.jpg

WIdZQ03.jpg

enormous

Established Member
Always check your adjustment and centering on the FLATEST pavement that you can find and snug it down good. Any uneven pavement, even just a bit, will drive you nuts everytime you look at it.
In your first photo the car seems to sit on the flattest pavement and your in your other photos one can see the unevenness in the slabs.
Nice stripe delete car BTW, I like the liked out Shelby lettering and painted gas cap.

brandonflood123

Established Member
It shouldn't change after you adjust it unless something is loose. You have to adjust it with the car level and the suspension loaded. If you can get all 4 wheels on ramps that would be good. I have it easy I have a pit.

Always check your adjustment and centering on the FLATEST pavement that you can find and snug it down good. Any uneven pavement, even just a bit, will drive you nuts everytime you look at it.
In your first photo the car seems to sit on the flattest pavement and your in your other photos one can see the unevenness in the slabs.
Nice stripe delete car BTW, I like the liked out Shelby lettering and painted gas cap.

thanks for the response, i am tightening it really tight, perhaps it is because the ground isn't 100% level which would cause it to look unaligned on flat ground? ill give it another go i just wasnt sure if eyeing it was the only option i had for it.

thanks for the compliments alot of people dont like the black wheels and badges but i think it looks great IMO esp on SMG with the black side stripes still on it. ive also painted and color matched the front cobra grille emblem

feVKJxg.png

BHzWDq3.jpg

enormous

Established Member
You can tape a plumb bob to the edge of the fender and measure the gap to be more precise and don't let it drive you nuts when you park it on slightly uneven pavement that looks even.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If the springs are settling, and the ride height changing with it, it's going to change how the axle is centered. That's the main reason I resorted to a watts link. The axle doesn't shift left to right with changes in the ride height. I couldn't run these 315s with a panhard set up. They'd be rubbing all the time.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I originally set mine and supported the axle near the end with jack stands. Centered it and put it on the ground. Measured it up and sure enough, it was off-center. Then, I used ramps. The tires were wider than the ramp surface so I took some short pieces of 2x4 and put them cross-wise under the tires across the ramps. That allowed the tires to carry the load. From there, I found a long piece of STRAIGHT aluminum scrap I had and used that on each side. I used the aluminum going from the ground straight up past the wheel center to the top of the fender lip. It took a few tries but it is spot on. It ended up working very well and the axle is dead centered.

Tom

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Make sure your lock nuts are tight as you can get them. You also should have bought the panhard brace to go with the adjustable bar. Check the stock brace to make sure it isn't bent. It's a fairly flimsy piece.

mavisky

Established Member
Measured mine by taping a string to the top of each fender and tying a nut to the bottom of the string (homemade plumb bob), and of course make sure the suspension is fully loaded when doing this. I had to back my car to the edge of the garage where there's a small 1" drop to give me a little extra clearance while keeping the car at ride height since I don't have a lift.

Also back off the jam nuts and put a little bit of blue loc-tite on the threads before you tighten the nuts down again.

Users who are viewing this thread