Painting your stock emblems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
here is my write up on how to paint your emblems. this is just a guide and im not responsible if you don't like the outcome or it messes up ur emblems

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464084&highlight=emblem

above is the original thread where i posted my progress for picture reference

FIRST: Remove the emblems

This is easy, the grill emblem will need a security torx bit but you can go to almost any hardware store and get a cheapo kit for like 5 bucks.. two screws and the grill one is off

I took the fender badging off by first heating the surrounding area and emblem with a hair dryer then gently with a old plastic gift card pried it away from the car.

STEP TWO: cleaning the emblems and getting them ready for paint.

use a razor blade to remove the excess tape from the back of the fender emblems then sand all three emblems with 400 grit paper (what i used) then clean and rub the surface with paint thinner.

STEP THREE: base coat.

My idea was make the chrome part black and the black part the color of my car (white...but will vary with other peoples car)

the easiest way to cover the area is not with a spray can....even with very light layers and correct distance away i was having issues with the paint building up inside the crevices (which you dont want)

Get some model hobby paint and a VERY fine brush...you might not need to use it for this step but you will need it!

gently brush on ur base color of choice making sure the crevices stay "deep" and not get clogged with paint.

do this lightly and it will take a couple coats.

Let this stage dry accordingly

STEP FOUR: adding the black

I used a combo of paint pen an the very fine tipped brush.

the paint pen works awesome BUT i had serious issues after i put the clear down....for some reason or another after the clear would touch it after it dried it would turn the black paint to a cracked dull grey...dont know why....

But if you do a couple layers of paint pen/clear/paint pen/clear eventually it will turn out right... but this might not be the case with all clear coats...i was using duplicolors high performance wheel paint clear for hopes of durability

The best way i found do to this is get the big areas with the paint pen, then use the very fine tipped brush and hobby paint for the details and go over the paint pen areas lightly to ensure no cracking or greying from the clear coat.

Take your time, if you rush you will make mistakes and have to start over or have a lot of touch up.

STEP FIVE: Clear coat

Get your clear coat of choice and spray it like the directions say on the can

STEP SIX: Re-install

the grill emblem is really easy just those two screws you took out..put back in.

now with the fenders emblems clean from the earlier step, clean the car surface getting rid of all residue from the previous adhesive.

I got some 3M name plate double sided tape from a automotive paint supply store. Cut this to fit the shape of the cobra emblem and stick it on...

make sure the surface of the car and the emblem is at room temperature, helps with proper adhesion.

once thats done you should be able to sit back and enjoy your new emblems!

hope this helps!

Whtsuperstang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread