Painting the radio and shifter bezels

Slow99x

Established Member
I've been trying for some time now to find a good deal on the Mach 1 radio and shifter bezels but they almost always run over $100 for the pair. I've about given up and thought about painting the peices myself. I was wondering if any of you have done this and what proccess/ paint you used and how well it turned out.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I painted the radio bezel, vents, overhead console, door switch panels and handle surrounds on my truck about 6 years ago and they still look good. No cracking, fading, etc.

I wet sanded the plastic parts until smooth, 3 coats Krylon primer, 3 coats Dupli-Color, and 3 coats clear. Wet sanded with 2000 grit between each coat. IF I was to ever do this again, I think I would have them sprayed & cleared with automotive paint. Don't get me wrong, they look great, but an automotive paint would make them look even better.

Where in Illinois are you located?

Slow99x

Established Member
I painted the radio bezel, vents, overhead console, door switch panels and handle surrounds on my truck about 6 years ago and they still look good. No cracking, fading, etc.

I wet sanded the plastic parts until smooth, 3 coats Krylon primer, 3 coats Dupli-Color, and 3 coats clear. Wet sanded with 2000 grit between each coat. IF I was to ever do this again, I think I would have them sprayed & cleared with automotive paint. Don't get me wrong, they look great, but an automotive paint would make them look even better.

Where in Illinois are you located?
Mundelein/ Vernon Hills area. Thanks for replying. I think I might give it a try this weekend. It's way cheaper than buying the Mach 1 bezels. Did you use a flat clear or gloss?

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Definitely a gloss clear coat. The only reason I say that I would do it again with automotive paint is because I think the clear coat would have come out thicker and glossier. The paint itself looks great...just wish the clear would have turned out a little more professional looking. I can send you pics of my truck interior....just PM me if you want.

edit: If you plan on sanding the plastic smooth....it's going to take awhile (and some patience). Use multiple grits; probably 800 (maybe 400 on the first go around to knock the rough stuff down) through 2000. Just remember, don't go too abrasive on the first pass...less is more sometimes. 2000 once you have primed it and 2000 between coats. I think it took me 24 hours do all my truck pieces. It doesn't sound like it's that long but it's tedious. Well worth it in my opinion...if you have the time. ***And don't forget, use a tack rag after sanding/washing/between each coat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread