Painting the Heat Exchanger...

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I am currently working on a template in AutoCad to use for painting the word "Cobra" on my heat exchanger. I really like the look of the Gord HE's that come this way, and being that I plan on keeping my stock boost for a while, I see no need to upgrade the HE.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as what type of paint to use?!? Would a good spray paint work ok? I have a black cobra and I was thinking of spraying on dark gray lettering.

Tambini

Established Member
not sure what type of paint to use but i just ordered mine from Gords. he told me it takes a full day for the paint. i'm sure if you called him and acted interested in the HE, he would tell you all the specs of the paint used.

Grimlock

Established Member
Im also thinking of painting my LFP unit. Maybe to say GRIM. Haha.
Ill let you know how it goes.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Probably a stupid question, but does painting the HE have any negative affect on its' cooling capabilities? I'm considering an aftermarket and want to go with black to make it more stealth.....

Painter

Established Member
just use high temp paint from ace or something similiar. I know it comes in black. Withstands heat up to 1000 degrees or something. I painted the SVT on my blower with touch up paint and that gets hot, no paint failure yet.

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
If your going to paint the whole unit you have to keep the paint thin or you will reduce it cooling capabilites.

Mint Julep

Established Member
I recently took delivery of the GordsFord HE unit, and decided to paint it. I used Duplicolor DE1635, which is Ford semi-gloss black engine paint. This paint has ceramic material in it and it's designed to dissipate heat much better than regular engine paints. I just put on the second coat, and will let it cure for 5 days so I'll install next weekend.

BTW, the GordsFord HE is a first class unit. It's more expensive than others, but IMO you get what you pay for.

If you order a painted one from GordsFord, be sure to give them about a week to let the paint fully cure.

Mint

Users who are viewing this thread