painting the caliper

o0rikio0o

Established Member
im thinking about painting the stock cobra calipers and was wondering how you guys painted yours such that the "c-o-b-r-a" and the caliper are different colors? my idea was to just spray the caliper one color and then get a paint brush and paint the letters another color, but i bet theres more efficient (and ingenious) ways of doing it. what did you guys do?

scotts99snake

Established Member
Paint the calipers with caliper paint. Then sand off the cobra letters and paint them a different color. Personally, I painted my calipers red and left the cobra red too. I think it looks good....

cali cobra

Established Member
calipers

The way I did it I used a good high temp primer, then used a high gloss oil-based paint. after it dried I used a razor and scraped the paint off the cobra letters looks nice

01 Venom

Established Member
Get the Eastwood paint caliper kit, great stuff, all I did was tape off the COBRA letters, and with a razor blade cut them out such just the letters were covered. painted the caliper black. Removed the tape, and used scotch bright to clean up the white letters. Looks killer

BlueVenom01

Established Member
invest in a $.59 tube of chapstick....works wonders and less prep time. that's what did...just rub it on the letters and get to sprayin....after the paint is dry to touch just take a razor blade and scrape off the chapstick. letters remain unpainted :thumbsup:

done and done :banana:

tjs98gt

Established Member
invest in a $.59 tube of chapstick....works wonders and less prep time. that's what did...just rub it on the letters and get to sprayin....after the paint is dry to touch just take a razor blade and scrape off the chapstick. letters remain unpainted :thumbsup:

done and done :banana:

thats an awesome idea

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
Make sure you really clean the calipers of all dirt and oil. Do it till they are clean then do it again. Paint and brake fluid do not like each orther. Using high temp primer is a plus as well. I used the duplicolor kit and duplicolors high temp engine primer on mine.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
thats an awesome idea

I know some others on the board suggested doing that - works great...I will caution you tho - don't slather it on or it gets in crevices of the letters ("O" and "A" for example) it is a bitch to get out plus screws up the look. a thin coat should do the trick....

venamous01

Established Member
i just got done painting mine the other day, i painted them red. took a razorblade to the cobra letters. then used a lil scotchbrite for the remaining red, used black touchup paint with the little brush it comes with. then used a wheel clear coat on the hole thing. it looks great. i dont have the rest of the car back together yet, but i put a wheel on one and it looks sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread