painting tailights?

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
i have the same problem. the sun fades them out pretty bad. my car is black so it shows even worse. im just going to have a reputable body shop do it. im not even going to attempt to tape off the pinstripe lines. i imagine it shouldnt cost any more than a hundred bucks.

satx

Banned
ok.....so anyone else that thought that they should have been black and done something about it.

buddha93

Established Member
That ebay set went for $530.....yikes. You could have bought them about 8 months ago from a few places for $400 a set. Anyway, I did just buy a set not to long ago, and yes, they are grey.

I wouldn't be afraid to try to paint my exitsting ones my self. Actually, a guy sells fake ones from time to time on ebay, and they look pretty good.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
93 Cobra Taillights are BLACK on the plastic and the stripes look a little more grayish. I will try to post pics tonight of my 93 'R" that has been stored inside its whole life so you can see what they are suppose to look like. :beer:

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by buddha93
That ebay set went for $530.....yikes. You could have bought them about 8 months ago from a few places for $400 a set. Anyway, I did just buy a set not to long ago, and yes, they are grey.

I wouldn't be afraid to try to paint my exitsting ones my self. Actually, a guy sells fake ones from time to time on ebay, and they look pretty good.

LOL I got one of my taillights cracked (SOMEONE HIT MY PARKED CAR AND LEFT:cuss: ) I checked at a local salvage yard and got one for $150. This was a couple of years ago. I could not imagine paying $500 for them.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra186
93 Cobra Taillights are BLACK on the plastic and the stripes look a little more grayish.

Ok, Ok...they're a light black:) But seriously, it all depends on what you compare the "black" to. If you own a black Cobra, and compare the shade on the lens, I would say most people would either call it grey, or a light flat black.....it's far from a jet black. Even new, there is no gloss to the shade whatsovever. I compared the new lenses to the one on my car, and there really isn't that much differnce....they just look cleaner. I'd post a pic of them, but I don't think the quality of the pic would be worth the time.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Not to keep arguing the point, But your replacement taillight could have been for an SVO which in fact is a gray color. A true 93 Cobra light is a semi flat black, not gray at all and not a high gloss either.

I will try to get a good pic in the morning as it was dark by the time I got home tonight.

buddha93

Established Member
I understand what your saying...really. It's all about perspective....you know, what you compare it to . I guess the best way to describe the color, is to say it's a light, flat black.

I've attached a really crappy pic,( I think) and the lighting really affects the color, but you can see a slight variation against the Mag-lite.....the pic doens't show it real well. Oh, and I do have the correct lens....it came in the orginal box with the correct part number. Maybe you can get a better pic Cobra186.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra186
Not to keep arguing the point, But your replacement taillight could have been for an SVO which in fact is a gray color. A true 93 Cobra light is a semi flat black, not gray at all and not a high gloss either.

I will try to get a good pic in the morning as it was dark by the time I got home tonight.

Mine was not from an SVO. It matches my other one exactly AND it matches the one I took off exactly, so I know it did not come from an SVO.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I took some 86 tail lights and taped and painted them with a SEM brand bumper paint that matched very nicely. My car wears these during every day driving chores and I switch on the real ones for shows and occasions when somebody might care!

Users who are viewing this thread