Painting rims

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
If this is in the wrong thread please move.
Hating the chrome look and trying to go for the satin black look. Could someone give me info on how to go about painting my rims black. I know I would
have to scrape off the chrome, sand, primer, paint..I was just looking for suggestions on grits, primer, paint that others have used to get good results
or if I should just take them to have a shop do it?
P.S.
This would be my first time doing this

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I just plasti-dipped my chrome cobra-r's . Took about 2 cans for all 4 wheels and cost under $5.98 / per can at Home Depot.

The reason I'm telling you this is because you might not like the black look after a while and the plasti-dip just peels right off.

But if you wanted to do it permanently, just wet sand the chrome finish with 180 , then spray a self etching primer, then base/clear.. Duplicolor also makes some nice wheel paint..

I recommend powder coating wheels over paint .

Kirk01

Established Member
I just plasti-dipped my chrome cobra-r's . Took about 2 cans for all 4 wheels and cost under $5.98 / per can at Home Depot.

The reason I'm telling you this is because you might not like the black look after a while and the plasti-dip just peels right off.

But if you wanted to do it permanently, just wet sand the chrome finish with 180 , then spray a self etching primer, then base/clear.. Duplicolor also makes some nice wheel paint..

I recommend powder coating wheels over paint .

Use plasti-dip. It looks just as good as painting and its reversible. A buddy of mine just did his wheels and it looks fine.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would plasti dip too. I think the chrome looks good on your car and if you change your mind you can peal it off.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
BLACK281 you can find it lowes/home depot down the spray paint aisle.

I did all 4 wheels with 2 cans, and used note cards between the wheels and tires for over spray protection.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
^ Never been a fan of black, or verts for that matter, but your car looks great

Thanks a lot ! I sold those wheels though, because 18" tires are way to much for my wallet. I ended up buying some 17" FR500's .

"TitanSvt"

The plasti-dip is really good about getting inside all the small spaces , and if you're really worried you could spray from the inside out as well . I sprayed my wheels as sloppy as can be with runs and uneven coats and it still dried perfectly even.

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
Thanks a lot ! I sold those wheels though, because 18" tires are way to much for my wallet. I ended up buying some 17" FR500's .

"TitanSvt"

The plasti-dip is really good about getting inside all the small spaces , and if you're really worried you could spray from the inside out as well . I sprayed my wheels as sloppy as can be with runs and uneven coats and it still dried perfectly even.

Well, thats the only thing that was preventing me from getting on this right away. Looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend.
How long did drying take?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
30 minutes in between coats . 3-4 hrs to completely dry. I put down about 4-5 coats.

The brand I got was called Performix.

As far as prep just make sure the surface is clean, I just washed them with soap and water and dried with a towel to a squeaky clean finish.

Badass02GT

Established Member
The plasti dip works great and if you decide you dont like it, peel it off. Ill be doing my Saleens in the near future to see if I want black or stay polished.

Daron

Mean01
Established Member
If this is in the wrong thread please move.
Hating the chrome look and trying to go for the satin black look. Could someone give me info on how to go about painting my rims black. I know I would
have to scrape off the chrome, sand, primer, paint..I was just looking for suggestions on grits, primer, paint that others have used to get good results
or if I should just take them to have a shop do it?
P.S.
This would be my first time doing this

what's up fellow washingtonian.
Just this weekend I took my rims off my 2001 cobra and painted them myself, My roomate works at a sandblasting place so that was Fast and Easy. I highly recommend it.
Here are my pictures.

before
1332666484.jpg

after sandblasting for 5 minutes
1332616315.jpg

after black
1332664947.jpg

and white
1332664933.jpg

finished product
1332747774.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread