Painting Exhaust

SVTcobra2

Established Member
Anyone painted their midpipes? I just bought a used set of pypes mid muffler and offroad x. They are in good condition, but are not very good looking in cosmetic terms. I was thinking of scuffing them up and painting the x pipe and piping before the tips. This is for a 07 GT, so it wont really show, but id rather have them look better and it could help protect them. Anyone done it?

SVTcobra2

Established Member
well, that would be kinda pointless i think. they are actually visible when they are on the car as on IRS cobras(i had one), but i still want them to look better and be protected.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
ive actually considered spraying them to start of the tips with high-temp black.

I just polished mine about 2 months ago, and they look like shit already. And my diff is now leaking (from the top of the seal!) and staining them. When i drop the IRS next month, gonna respray the entire catback black. Polished doesnt go well with my theme either.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

I painted the bassani exhaust that came with my car because it wasnt stainless and was rusting. I used some hi-temp paint, it did make a big difference.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Clean them off, paint them and be done with it

Sand the surface and use some good paint, you'll be fine.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Why paint when you can polish. Go get yourself some 1500 and 1200 grit paper and wet sand them.

Lot of threads on here that show you how.

I'm guessing paint would be a real mess down the line.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Why paint when you can polish. Go get yourself some 1500 and 1200 grit paper and wet sand them.

Lot of threads on here that show you how.

I'm guessing paint would be a real mess down the line.

I would bet paint would hold up better than a polished exhaust, if done right. Poilshing it would be a pain if it were in pretty bad shape... But if you are into showing it or just keeping it clean, it's the best way to go for sure :coolman:

P1020317.jpg

P1020314.jpg

P1020311.jpg

I'm a bit biased on what I feel is the best route to take :beer:

SpectorV

Established Member
if the metal is polish-able (make sure it is) its pretty easy to shine it up to either a mirror finish or just a satin look

JMoraru

Established Member
you can scratch all the brown off from the pipes and make them silver again with some 200 grit. heres what 3 bucks worth of sandpaper made my rusty looking midpipe into
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/antiv6/front.jpg
wow, the midpipe looks better than the rest of your car!

i was going to sane them and paint them black with high temp paint. i guess it sounds like it will work.i was just wondering if it will get too hot for even the paint.

if a mod sees this than can they delete the SVTcobra2 account. my home computer seems to stay logged into it and i dont even realize i post with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread