Painting door and 1/4 panels, what to do?

stangbanger856

Established Member
my car has the bland all tan interior and I want to change it to the black/tan version. I have looked for close to a year to find the factory panels (door and rear 1/4s) with nothing better then faded junk. So I was thinking about pulling them out and painting/dyeing them.

has anyone done this? if so how did it turn out? how durable is it? what steps did you take to prep it?

Also I will be replacing the door cups with some new black replacements to go with it since that is a high wear area.

mustang3X

Established Member
Will go out on a limb with this suggestion as it might not work but you might try RIT dye.

I have dyed g-shock watches and have read on gun forums where guys have dyed HK USC guns. The HKs were gray and they were dyed black.

One of the tricks is to add a little green so the black doesn't look purple, check out HKPRO, you might find the recipe.

You need real hot water and something big enough to hold the stripped down door panel (like a kiddie pool), but if it works it will be permanent.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
SEM makes a very nice high quality dye.. My interior was already black but I have dye'd my 03 Console and a few other various parts. The dye works alot better than paint and goes on alot thinner. You should not have any issues, but it is smart to purchase new door cups because the dye will definitely wear off. You should be able to search on here and find a few threads where people have done their entire interiors. Prep work was minimal, just cleaned and wiped down with rubbing alcohol.

teksidCOBRA

Established Member
DuPont makes a vinyl paint that I have personally used before. it covers well, dries quick, no priming necessary and is quite durable (doesn't rub off like other vinyl paints). matches the sheen of OEM too. DuPont has factory interior color chip books also.

Users who are viewing this thread