Painting Chin Spoiler Laser Red

BigTerminator

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I know the Laser Red E9 paint is a tri-coat and very expensive to get. I would like to repaint my chin spoiler (from previous owner) and I need to know of a red that is identical in terms of color. The flakes and special effects of the tri-coat is not necessary. Currently it is painted with something that matches the tone of the color just without the metallic vibrance. But it has been scraped to death so I would like to redo it. Any help is appreciated!

Here is a pic of what it looks like. You can tell that paint is not the same but close.

_MG_6558.jpg

BigTerminator

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
The paint isn't crazy expensive for E9. I'm looking at 16.09 for 4 ounces of base. My computer isn't showing a price on the midcoat. But its just a clear adjuster with three solid red toners in Nexa. I'd guess less than 40$ in paint.
Looks like the paint is peeling from the pictures, poor prep and/or lack of adhesion promoter. I'd take it off, blow all the paint off and water sand the remainder smooth and go from there.

E9 doesn't match for shit. If it were my car, I'd have the entire bumper painted and either blend it out into the bumper or if the bumper wasn't in that great of shape, carry it into the fenders.

Depends on what you're looking for as far as quality.

You can also take your car to a jobber or a body shop that has a camera, have them snap a couple pics and see what codes it pulls other than E9.

Edit: if the camera isn't calibrated or well taken care of it won't help you much. Before you get anything painted, you can ask for a spray out of the color selected to see if it's even something you're going to be satisfied with.

May take a couple shops but you'll find one eventually. A jobber will help you out no problems so long as you buy the paint from them

Last edited:

whyxitx

Established Member
You should post a full picture of it with the chin spoiler on. I can't vision what it would look like with one!

And he's right ^^. That color sun fades horribly. It will be difficult to match it to the bumper.

IA-SteveB

Established Member
I agree with both. You are way better off just paying the money to take it to a shop with a good camera and good people. I did this for replacement fiberglass bumper fillers on an 87 Turbo Regal I used to have and it was money well spent. My paint on the car was in great shape but I wanted to make sure the fillers didn't stand out as being "too new looking" if that makes sense. I always notice stuff like that myself. I think it was $250 total.

Last edited:

BigTerminator

Established Member
Well guys, I took off the front lip and the good news is that the car looks really good without. Buying it used, I have never seen the car without and I must say the chin lip doesn't make it worse but not much better either. I will be going without, but thanks for the help otherwise. Here is a pic with it on and off, let me know what you think.

IMG_8211.jpg

20160702_122713[1].jpg

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
It's insane to me how no company has made a decent splitter for these cars. The front bumper is just begging for it.

richstang

Established Member
Definitely like it without the chin spoiler. I can't imagine how a splitter would look.
Personally I think the Cobra nose design is too busy with anything added.

Nice cobra btw!

I may have to add that cobra snake grille to mine. It just fits in better than the pony.

Users who are viewing this thread