Painting Calipers

03snkvert

Established Member
Just thought I would post up a thread for Guys that are thinking about painting there calipers. I bought the Duplicolor Caliper Painting kit for $16.99 and it comes with: instructions, Caliper Cleanor (aerosol), 1 can of caliper paint (brush on) and a brush and stir stick.

The kit is pretty straight forward and looks pretty good for the price. I will try and get a pic of the Calipers when I can get the car out in the sun.

The reason I am posting is I didn't do a search first and thought I would try and help someone out. When I went to the rear brakes I got underneath and looked at taking the caliper off and my first instinct was to take off everthing that was in the way. DO NOT TAKE OFF THE SPRING ON THE CALIPER, I learned by mistake. Instead just pull on the e-brake cable and remove it.

Hopefully I can help somebody from making that mistake, It took me a couple hours to put the spring back in and to do it I had to put it in a vise and then wrapped mechanics wire around to hold it (kind of scary with tension on it ) but I learned my lesson.

Corey

Juruense

Banned
I have read horror stories about that exact issue, many times. Sucks you had to go through that.

No offense but there is no how-to in your thread, just some general statements and a warning about a fairly well known issue that you would have been able to avoid if you had done any research at all before attempting your project...

You should add some how-to to this or ask that it be deleted IMHO...

03snkvert

Established Member
I originally posted this in the suspension section and someone suggested I put it in here. I just want this to pop up when somebody does a search about painting calipers. I read plenty of threads on caliper painting yet none talked about pulling off the spring. I did however find plenty of information about not taking off the spring when I typed in "emergency brake spring" and read them under posts about changing rear brake pads.

If you do a search in the how to about painting calipers in the How To section this is the only thread that comes up.

If the moderator wants to delete this post by all means go ahead.

xcobra04x

New mustang being built..
Established Member
Good post. If you want to avoid all that, Just take your tire off, Tape off the brake caliaper and anything else you think you might get paint on. Just paint your caliper with the high heat spray paint on the front and the sides and your done. Works perfect and looks great. Can't even tell its not painted on the other side with the tire/wheel on or off. But that's just my 0.02. I just did it this way to avoid any hassel of long time trying to do this job. Good write up.

03snkvert

Established Member
The directions for the Duplicolor kit tell you to just tape off around and paint. I just figured I would get a better job so I was going to take them off. Needless to say I didn't take any of the others off!!

xcobra04x

New mustang being built..
Established Member
hum... beside the mistake you made, Do you like how it looks?? what color did you do?

03snkvert

Established Member
I did black on my Silver Vert w/ silver wheels and I think it looks awesome. As soon as some of the snow melts I will get it outside and take some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread