Painting and smoothing gray trim ????????

Boston Blackie

Established Member
:idea: As a winter project I've decided to smooth and paint the Gray trim on the truck black to match the color of the truck. My local body shop has been of no help to me as far as smoothing the surface and removing the ribs goes. I would welcome any ideas or tips that those of you who have done this on your own trucks might have for me. From what I can tell if you sand down the ribs you will create a hole as there is not enough material under each rib to prevent sanding thru the piece. Is there a source for smooth replacement pieces? ( side steps and rear bumper trim.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also plan on doing the rear window trim, tailgate handle and mirrors also.Thanks

nicktoney

weeee
Established Member
im not sure what you are looking for but there are quite a few places to get smoothed steps and smoothed bedside caps... im just gonna smooth my own down and if they get f-ed ill buy new ones..

Red Koolaid

Established Member
GOOD LUCK......thats alot of bust-ass work! plastic is very hard to work with ONLY because its not a Solid surface like metal.....meaning....finish product more then likely will be very wavey. It takes alot of time to make the plastics look like an 'OEM' piece. Can be done though! Smooth plastics flat and use propper putty's and prime the shyt out of them......and block block block!!!

Users who are viewing this thread