Painted the calipers on the Terminator

Mike Gnolfo

Gimme Fuel
Established Member
I used the kit from Eastwood...came out pretty good!

Before
DSC00869.gif

After
DSC00871.jpg

66temp

Established Member
Looks great!!! Where can I find the kit??? And can you post up a little more detail on how you did this? I really want do do the calipers on my car, but I don't want to take them off and have to bleed all my brakes...did you just leave them on the car and clean them or what?

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
duplicolor kit from advance auto, use a foam brush not that garbage brush they give you with the kit. Put the last few coats on really thick and it comes out like below:

100_4136.jpg

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
did u have to do any sanding on the caliper to make it so shiny? or did u jst clean them and paint them? more info pleeeeease...

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Mike Gnolfo- Looks great man! Definitely better than before.

cobraCMDR- I love red calipers. But I want to paint mine two tone like yours (black/red). Did you take the caliper off, disassemble it and paint the two parts separately? Or just very carefully paint it on the rotor?

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Here is what I did and this took some time:

Take the brakes apart. Painted the rotors ( I sanded the paint off later dont worry) with duplicolor spray caliper paint.

The brackets I took off as well and painted with spray caliper paint.

I left the calipers themselves on the car but hanging so I could paint them.

Prepwork for the calipers was not much, just degrease, light sand with 200-400 sandpaper (to give the caliper paint something to stick to).

Those calipers tool about 5-8 coats of red to get like that. The first couple of coats will look like crap all blotch and such. get a few base coats on and let it dry for a few hours or a day or so. Then finish up with 3-4 wet coats. Just slop the stuff on pretty heavy it levels out well and does not drip to much since the paint is kind of thick.

For the cobra lettering I just used a razor to take the paint off later, then hit it with some 400 sandpaper to give it a brushed look.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread