Painted stripes

Dadz500

Established Member
So my car was a factory order for someone else and they ordered as stripe delete. IMO, Shelby's should have stripes. I had them put on with vinyl and they looked good but not what I wanted so I decided to have them painted on. Buried under 6 coats of clear and entire care wet sanded and buffed, looks like a mirror now. Here are some pics I took that are pretty crappy, when it is out tomorrow I will take some better ones. Let me know what you think. Some look spotty, but it is reflections from the clouds.

ShelbyStripes3.jpg

ShelbyStripes2.jpg

ShelbyStripes1.jpg

ShelbyStripes4.jpg

Myfast70

Established Member
Pretty sweet! Would like to see more pics with a better camera. I was wanting to color sand my car and rebuff once it shows but wasn't sure if there was enough clear on it from Ford. Great job on the stripes. I keep kicking around having silver stripes painted on my DIB

terbo

Established Member
Those look soooo good! If you don't mind me asking, how much did this run you, price wise? I really like the outer pinstripes.

jsdeweyusmc

Established Member
I had silver stripes painted on mine and the cost was $1500.00 . The dealer that I brought my from painted them. I paid invoice price for my GT500 so I wasn't worried about the cost of the stripes which was a good price considering a stripe kit cost right around $1000.00.

Last edited:

Dadz500

Established Member
Thank you very much. I will upload some more photos today that I just took that do a little better job of showing the quality of the job they did. Price wise, I paid $5k to have them done which includes taking the entire car apart, windows out, lights front and rear, mirrors, door handles etc, then scuffing the entire car and shooting the stripes followed by 6 coats of clear and wet sanding and buffing the entire car to a mirror shine with 0 orange peel. Looks like a show car paintjob now. Normally they would charge $6500 or so to do it. Took 30 days of work and $2k roughly in supplies. So while not cheap to do it the way I did, you can have it done for much less if you don't want to go to the extreme I went.

Dadz500

Established Member
Pretty sweet! Would like to see more pics with a better camera. I was wanting to color sand my car and rebuff once it shows but wasn't sure if there was enough clear on it from Ford. Great job on the stripes. I keep kicking around having silver stripes painted on my DIB

I really wanted a DIB and I was going to do red stripes. I would still have ordered without stripes unless I was ordering black stripes because I prefer the seats to not have stripes (although I don't mind the stripes in red) I had a DIB Roush Stage 3 and had the stripes switched to their red which I think they call red blooded American (or something like that) but its a pearl red and looked great IMO. If I order a 14 which I have first right to the first allocation I will either order Sterling Gray Metallic or DIB and do red stripes on either one. I love the DIB but love the SGM too and have had a DIB so would probably go SGM.

As far as color sanding the factory clear. It can be done but you won't have much left after and rock chips and stuff will happen very easily. If I was not going to add clear I would just try to knock some of the orange peel down but would not color/wet sand it all. Just my opinion but Fore isn't known for their quality paint and the factory clear is thinner then a post it note.

Last edited:

Dadz500

Established Member
Here are some better photos taken today for you. Shows a bit better the quality of work done but it is nearly impossible to capture the lack of orange peel on a silver car with my camera.

DSC_0009-7.jpg

DSC_0015-7.jpg

DSC_0014-5.jpg

DSC_0012-10.jpg

DSC_0011-8.jpg

DSC_0010-8.jpg

DSC_0021-3.jpg

DSC_0020-3.jpg

DSC_0019-3.jpg

DSC_0018-5.jpg

DSC_0017-6.jpg

DSC_0016-5.jpg

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I had silver stripes painted on mine and the cost was $1500.00 . The dealer that I brought my from painted them. I paid invoice price for my GT500 so I wasn't worried about the cost of the stripes which was a good price considering a stripe kit cost right around $1000.00.

I haven't seen your car, but I'd be willing to guess that the level of effort and cost which Dads500 has invested has most likely created a superior finish. Today I saw his car firsthand (and drove it) and saw it parked next to a Boss Mustang. The difference in finish was like comparing stucco to glass; it was that dramatic.

peteypab2133

Established Member
couple thoughts.

I think it looks like there is more depth to the stripes while painted. I do not really like the additional stripe on the outside of both sides, and I think there looks like to much flake or metallic in the stripes. If I do them, I would like to have them as matte looking as possible. But if thats the way you asked for it to be done then they do look bad ass.

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
I'd have gone with one if those company that makes vinyl-like stripes from paint. Would live to pull the satin black off and add some SGM stripes. If I can find a way to do the sideswipe stock, I may when I change to the black mamba hood.

Dadz500

Established Member
couple thoughts.

I think it looks like there is more depth to the stripes while painted. I do not really like the additional stripe on the outside of both sides, and I think there looks like to much flake or metallic in the stripes. If I do them, I would like to have them as matte looking as possible. But if thats the way you asked for it to be done then they do look bad ass.

It's exactly what I asked for. The color is Sterling Gray Metallic, a factory Ford color, the metal flake pops a bit more then factory because of the finish they produced with the clear and wet sanding and buffing. I love it.

Dadz500

Established Member
I'd have gone with one if those company that makes vinyl-like stripes from paint. Would live to pull the satin black off and add some SGM stripes. If I can find a way to do the sideswipe stock, I may when I change to the black mamba hood.

I did choose this option first and it looked good, just not good enough for my liking. I wanted the car to look better then factory, so I went for it, and IMO, got it.

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
Looks great. I like the fact that there is no orange peel on your finish. This gives great depth. I'm a stripe delete guy but really you did a great job!

Users who are viewing this thread