Painted coil covers

Solo500

Established Member
I got bored and decided to paint and vent my coil covers. I marked off the holes and then used a drill press. Then I used scotchbrite and sandpaper before applying some high temp paint. I'm making a catch can tonight.

dscn0887.jpg

EDIT: & Its my 400th post!

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Exactly what I was thinking. But, I have functional scoops in my hood, so mine would probably see more water than yours. The paint job looks great BTW. Except, is that Chevy orange?

Solo500

Established Member
Thanks. The car's garaged with 40k miles and nevers sees rain. My camera's colors suck its actually red to match my rocker stripes and brakes.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Reminds me of a 96' GT on ebay a few years ago that the owner drilled holes all over the stock air box to let more air in.

You could've accomplished the same thing by removing the seals from the coil covers and spacing them up 1/8" or so with washers. Wouldve let out just as much "heat."

How many threads are there on here that people have had coil on plug faluires due to heat exposure? Not really a chronic problem with these cars that Im aware of but hey its your car.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Post up some pics on your catch can. It may be a different design from what's already on here. Are you going to paint it red also?

Solo500

Established Member
It's in my friends garage at the moment since I had to borrow his welder. I started with a can and welded on a drain bolt and then used brass fittings and heater hose. I made a bracket and welded it so it could mount to the crossover tube.

I put a barb on the lower left and the lower right sides of the can with heater hose going to the passenger and drivers side heads. I put a circle disc inside the can with holes and rested it on top of the barbs and tac welded it in there so it could act as a barrier for oil. Then I added another barb on the upper backside of the can and routed it to the intake manifold. I capped off the ram air intake.

Here's a little sketch. It looks a little different but its the best I could do because I'm about to passout.

picture13h.png

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Now I really have to see a pic of this. I never thought of the cross-over as a mounting point. I plan on relocating the battery and using the old battey tray location for a catch can and oil filter relocation kit.

Thanks for the sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread