Paint scratches

batfat

Established Member
I would appreciate any ideas on fixing a couple of minor surface scratches on the top of my back bumper. Thanks, Sandy

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Are they clear coat scratches or are they down to the primer? If it's on the clearcoat you can take extremely fine sand paper and lightly brush it till the surface is smooth. Then put a fresh coat of wax on it afterwards. I've seen someone do it, but never done it myself so I couldn't tell you what type of grit paper you would need.

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
I second the Langka. I haven't tried it yet, but I've got it on order. If you need touch up paint, go to:
http://www.autovisuals.com/ or call: 877-701-7780
They are the only company that has the touch up paint that matches my satin silver. Ford supposedly didn't have my paint code in their computer, only silver metallic.

If it's only a scratch in the clear coat, maybe a paying a detailer to buff it out would be a good idea.

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
If it is just a couple of small surface scratches, I would try to rub them out with 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound 39002 (fine cut) then follow with 3M Swirl remover 39009 for Dark cars. And then the wax of your choice. Stay away from sanding anything unless you know what you are doing or you will most likely regret it. Even with 2500 grit wet/dry paper you can cause more damage than you can deal with if you have never done it before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread